Guns! Guns! Guns!

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
@YojimBeau

What is the intended purpose for your Glock? Just curious. If we could get a better idea of what you're intending to use it for (home defense, daily carry, range toy, combat, bug out gun, etc.) we could eliminate some options or recomend others.

Some more choices in 9mm plastic fantastic:

Springfield XD/M 3.8: $475 new here:

Smith & Wesson M&P 9 2.0: $489 new:

Sig Sauer SP2022: $500 new:

Last edited:

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
What is the intended purpose for your Glock? Just curious. If we could get a better idea of what you're intending to use it for (home defense, daily carry, range toy, combat, bug out gun, etc.) we could eliminate some options or recomend others.
Hobby shooter. Range shooting with the fallback home-defense, though that's not really a primary concern where I live. I've been expanding my research to other brands as well as other calibers. While price isn't a huge concern, I'm not wanting to go over $600 for the firearm, considering that I'll spend another 50% on accessories and ammo just for starters.

I was an expert marksman when I was in the Army and there was something about ranges that always brought a sense of peace to me and I'm wanting to rekindle those feelings.

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Hobby shooter. Range shooting with the fallback home-defense, though that's not really a primary concern where I live. I've been expanding my research to other brands as well as other calibers. While price isn't a huge concern, I'm not wanting to go over $600 for the firearm, considering that I'll spend another 50% on accessories and ammo just for starters.

I was an expert marksman when I was in the Army and there was something about ranges that always brought a sense of peace to me and I'm wanting to rekindle those feelings.
Are you dead set on getting a compact frame (G19 size) or would you consider getting a full sized gun? Would you consider hammer fired guns? Are metal framed guns out of the question?

IMO, if your main uses are home defense and mainly range shooting, I'd look at something other than Glock, purely in terms of ergonomics.

If you plan on shooting often, I wouldn't recommend the Ruger Security 9 due to it being relatively new and unproven. If you're not planning on shooting it much, any of the guns I suggested are doable.

My top picks out of what I've listed so far would be the Walther Creed, Springfield XD/M and I just added the Sig Pro SP2022 if your into hammer fired polymer guns. You might also look at the CZ SP07/09 series.

I own both a Glock 17 & 19, primarily for utility purposes (range and what if scenarios). To be honest, I like that they go bang every time and that accessories are cheap, but they're my least favorite pistols to shoot, because the ergonomics suck.

Personally, I'd rather have my Beretta 92 or Kimber Warrior M1911 Government. They're heavy, but I just shoot so much better with them and they're more enjoyable to shoot. I don't have any rounds through my CZ P07 yet, but I could see that replacing my Beretta, if I can scrounge up some cash for more mags ($49 for a P07 mag!?)

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Are you dead set on getting a compact frame (G19 size) or would you consider getting a full sized gun? Would you consider hammer fired guns? Are metal framed guns out of the question?
I need to get my hands on a gun to know what my hands can accommodate before I really know if full size is okay. I'm not a large person, but I have used the old Army issue Beretta and it fit okay, so maybe that's an option. Hammer would be okay for single action, but I'm a little reluctant to go that route for double action. Metal....meh, just a weight consideration really. I'm wanting to get something with a 15-17 round capacity magazine, without spending an arm and a leg on extended magazines. Just as a matter of enjoyment. Not that I have anything against the 7-10 round mags. Just prefer to spend more time sending lead down range than reloading.
Personally, I'd rather have my Beretta 92 or Kimber Warrior M1911 Government. They're heavy, but I just shoot so much better with them and they're more enjoyable to shoot.
I was looking into both the Beretta 92 and a few M1911s. I favor the Beretta, as I have experience with it. However, I was surprised to learn that the 1911 is (according to a rather detailed review) considerably more accurate, as in my day, the joke was the the 1911 was great unless you wanted to hit a target more than 10' away. But, again, weight is really the only thing that puts me off metal frames.

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
I need to get my hands on a gun to know what my hands can accommodate before I really know if full size is okay. I'm not a large person, but I have used the old Army issue Beretta and it fit okay, so maybe that's an option. Hammer would be okay for single action, but I'm a little reluctant to go that route for double action. Metal....meh, just a weight consideration really. I'm wanting to get something with a 15-17 round capacity magazine, without spending an arm and a leg on extended magazines. Just as a matter of enjoyment. Not that I have anything against the 7-10 round mags. Just prefer to spend more time sending lead down range than reloading.

I was looking into both the Beretta 92 and a few M1911s. I favor the Beretta, as I have experience with it. However, I was surprised to learn that the 1911 is (according to a rather detailed review) considerably more accurate, as in my day, the joke was the the 1911 was great unless you wanted to hit a target more than 10' away. But, again, weight is really the only thing that puts me off metal frames.
I don't know off the top of my head what mil surp M1911 guns go for, but you can get new Rock Island copies for around $500. If you do want a Beretta, going mil surp is probably worth looking into. New copies of the M9/92FS start around $650, whereas mil surplus can start around $400 in refurbished condition.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
China take it from you? The only gun I have ever seen was a silver plated 45 pistol sitting on the table.
I had 3 guns and wanted to keep them (and still come to China) $500,000 each deposit on each gun and no ammo allowed.

So left them. South Aftican government changed the gun laws rendering my licenses void, took the guns and destroyed them (sold them illegally more my guess)

And now they are taking land away with no compensation...

So I've recently have bought two new rifles. The first is the Henry U.S. Survival rifle otherwise known as the AR-7. It's a little .22LR gun, it's really fun to shoot.
20180805_151427.jpg 20180805_151536.jpg 20180805_155658.jpg

The other one is more or less just something I always wanted. It's a Marlin Guide Gun, it's chambered in 45-70 govt.
20180809_140132.jpg
I was in the process of cleaning both of them up when I took the picture so sorry about the cleaning rod in the pics!

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Snub-nose, huh? Not planning on hitting anything more than two feet away, are we?
Aren't you a ray of sunshine today. 🌞

I was looking at getting a .38 LCR, then saw that video.

I already own plenty of 9mm ammo, so +1 there. Now that I know that it's more efficient out of a snubby than both .38 & .357, it makes more sense to go that route.

Also, I'm not planning on going John Wick and getting into long ass gun battles. The 20 or so feet that most shooting takes place in during a self defense scenario will be good enough for a snubby.

Also, the LCR seems to get good reviews.

odf14

Alamo Rookie
Great Democratic People's Republic of Illinois
Aren't you a ray of sunshine today. 🌞

I was looking at getting a .38 LCR, then saw that video.

I already own plenty of 9mm ammo, so +1 there. Now that I know that it's more efficient out of a snubby than both .38 & .357, it makes more sense to go that route.

Also, I'm not planning on going John Wick and getting into long ass gun battles. The 20 or so feet that most shooting takes place in during a self defense scenario will be good enough for a snubby.

Also, the LCR seems to get good reviews.
Nah, I'm just a natural downer. ;) That and 1) I'm not all that impressed by Saturday Night Specials; 2) I'm not all that impressed by metric Saturday Night Specials. Yes, I'm something of a curmudgeonly .45 ACP fanboi.

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Nah, I'm just a natural downer. ;) That and 1) I'm not all that impressed by Saturday Night Specials; 2) I'm not all that impressed by metric Saturday Night Specials. Yes, I'm something of a curmudgeonly .45 ACP fanboi.
I would actually prefer a .45 LCR, but they don't make one.
:cry:

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
Who doesn't like a good ol' Kriss Vector, I may be a dumbass but that gun has got me through some hard shite in Rainbow Six Siege with a holographic, vertical grip, and a compensator. All just gismos and junk but I liked it.

20180907_131404.jpg

20180907_134109.jpg
So my most recent purchase in firearms is this Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum. It's the 7.5 inch barrel so the gun is 13 inches in overall length and got a good bit of weight on her. It's fun to shoot and I'm enjoying having it as my first revolver purchase. It's mostly used for home defense/wild animal (snake, coyote, or rabid animal) and just fun at the range.