Games too easy?

In SoD 1, I wouldn't be caught dead (heh, heh) outside my Base without three meds, three snacks, and three firebombs. In SoD 2, if I could, I'd leave the base butt-naked, dancing a jig and crooning my favorite ditty, with a toothpick wedged behind my ear and fireworks exploding from my ass!

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
In SoD 1, I wouldn't be caught dead (heh, heh) outside my Base without three meds, three snacks, and three firebombs. In SoD 2, if I could, I'd leave the base butt-naked, dancing a jig and crooning my favorite ditty, with a toothpick wedged behind my ear and fireworks exploding from my ass!
That's the upcoming "Zed-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zed-a-Dee-Day!" DLC.

Viperho

Rescued Ally
its not there is no difficulty that makes it bad (which is true), is that there is no unique content and story scenarios passed the 1st tutorial missions and the final mission (which lacks complexity imho) the game is just plainly unfinished from a fun and compelling story arch perspective.

Take a game like 1990's Wing Commander, that tiny game has more story driven by performance. if you and your wingmen were performing poorly the story arch would go down a multitude of negative paths and postivie paths depending on your performance in game, i don't see this at all in SOD2. They claim they are a simulation but they didn't focus on those most important parts: Your performance affects the story!

Last edited:

Kiel555

Missing Survivor
I had my first casualty since playing the game. Haha. No big loss in terms of characters but the effect was interesting. Took a big hit to moral. Also, I like the new graphics. His position in the community screen was replaced with a stone and some candles. Haha. Then after a while, a monument of sorts in the back ground. Not everyone is grieving but those that are adding a -30 morale for like the next 19 minutes or so. Pretty cool change from SOD1.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
I had my first casualty since playing the game. Haha. No big loss in terms of characters but the effect was interesting. Took a big hit to moral. Also, I like the new graphics. His position in the community screen was replaced with a stone and some candles. Haha. Then after a while, a monument of sorts in the back ground. Not everyone is grieving but those that are adding a -30 morale for like the next 19 minutes or so. Pretty cool change from SOD1.

Can only imagine the effects of the shed... if used similarly to SoD2.

You have 160 grave stones and an active community of 25. Congratulations!

Kiel555

Missing Survivor
Can only imagine the effects of the shed... if used similarly to SoD2.

You have 160 grave stones and an active community of 25. Congratulations!
It's pretty cool actually. I mean if you kinda cared about the survivor. Haha. If it had been Marcus, the gravestone with his name on it, some flowers and a few candles......seems appropriate. Then a permanent grave monument for the rest of the game in the background gets you right there in the feels.

Anyway, back to taking out endless infestations. Two more plague hearts to go!

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
Been playing with no meds or snacks and the game is still too easy. I'm going to have to get rid of the infirmary just to make it harder. Surgery and neurology are basically useless because their abilities never come into play due to ease of gameplay. Honestly I like Undead Labs systems put in place for state of decay 2. Base building and the amount of resource finding, I like it. ( I know a lot of people don't. But I think they've done that part well. Even the fate cards don't drive me crazy.) I just need the darn difficulty of the combat to be harder. Just the combat is all I need to feel complete. Give me a reason to need an infirmary and snacks and meds and the skills of medicine. Etc.

Viperho

Rescued Ally
Been playing with no meds or snacks and the game is still too easy. I'm going to have to get rid of the infirmary just to make it harder. Surgery and neurology are basically useless because their abilities never come into play due to ease of gameplay. Honestly I like Undead Labs systems put in place for state of decay 2. Base building and the amount of resource finding, I like it. ( I know a lot of people don't. But I think they've done that part well. Even the fate cards don't drive me crazy.) I just need the darn difficulty of the combat to be harder. Just the combat is all I need to feel complete. Give me a reason to need an infirmary and snacks and meds and the skills of medicine. Etc.
I agree, but there needs to be more interesting dynamic gameplay. the Story arch is incomplete and there is no significant variance in playthroughs. There needs to be more unique events in the game world. Like a a military convoy rolling through, or a crime lord. nothing happens in the world except radio broadcasts and some poor AI running around houses. (enclaves) AND BRING BACK THE LOG BOOK!

Last edited:

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
I agree, but there needs to be more interesting dynamic gameplay. the Story arch is incomplete and there is no significant variance in playthroughs. There needs to be more unique events in the game world. Like a a military convoy rolling through, or a crime lord. nothing happens in the world except radio broadcasts and some poor AI running around houses. (enclaves) AND BRING BACK THE LOG BOOK!
I see that complaint a lot. I'm all for more story. I guess I'm just used to roleplaying my own stories I hadn't really noticed the lack of story until people brought it up.

I see that complaint a lot. I'm all for more story. I guess I'm just used to roleplaying my own stories I hadn't really noticed the lack of story until people brought it up.
I don't mind the lack of "story", I role play a lot in tabletop games so it's fun to do, and I do enjoy the individual character missions to give your people some personality (though I am tired of the Prepper Aunt one!)

In fact I came across two new ones in my latest round of playing; "Brother in Blue" and "Return of the Action Hero". The latter is stage four of the Action hero set, never had it ping before.

What I would like more of is background more on the outbreak etc.

Lack of story is shorthand and not entirely accurate. There is a story, the growing divide between the Network and Red Talon, it just doesn't have anything to do with the player's community. It's more accurate to say SoD2 lacks a central narrative or main quest.

Viperho

Rescued Ally
Lack of story is shorthand and not entirely accurate. There is a story, the growing divide between the Network and Red Talon, it just doesn't have anything to do with the player's community. It's more accurate to say SoD2 lacks a central narrative or main quest.
I don't necessarily need a main quest either, I just need a more dynamic world where more stuff happens to said world.

Why are enclaves only in houses, why aren't they moving into empty bases. why aren't they scavenging, setting up outposts, etc. I mean its all very rudimentary at this point. If your going to introduce other factions they should be bound to the same systems in a simulation. Wouldn't be nice if your friendly factions actually helped clearing infestations? stuff like that, helps suspension of disbelief and makes things FUN.

The way missions pop up and disappear are frustrating too...
I may come out as overly negative, but I really want this type of game to succeed, its a few major features short of greatness imho.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily need a main quest either, I just need a more dynamic world where more stuff happens to said world.

Why are enclaves only in houses, why aren't they moving into empty bases. why aren't they scavenging, setting up outposts, etc. I mean its all very rudimentary at this point. If your going to introduce other factions they should be bound to the same systems in a simulation. Wouldn't be nice if your friendly factions actually helped clearing infestations? stuff like that, helps suspension of disbelief and makes things FUN.

The way missions pop up and disappear are frustrating too...
I may come out as overly negative, but I really want this type of game to succeed, its a few major features short of greatness imho.
Part of the problem for me is that enclaves DO move into bases. I've had a few occasions where I wanted to set up in a certain base only to find that there was an enclave already in it.

Shinzou

Missing Survivor
Part of the problem for me is that enclaves DO move into bases. I've had a few occasions where I wanted to set up in a certain base only to find that there was an enclave already in it.
I think it is mostly the crazy Zombie Hunters that do that, because they need a small slot for their chained pet. Other enclaves aren't there for long (if you ignore them) or move out due to story (the doctors, the mechanics, etc...), so it never was a problem before.

The Zombie Hunters are annoying though and i have never seen them leave even if ignoring them for days. Maybe they should only appear once you leave the starter house and only move into that base, so they won't block you whenever you decide to move.

I think it is mostly the crazy Zombie Hunters that do that, because they need a small slot for their chained pet. Other enclaves aren't there for long (if you ignore them) or move out due to story (the doctors, the mechanics, etc...), so it never was a problem before.

The Zombie Hunters are annoying though and i have never seen them leave even if ignoring them for days. Maybe they should only appear once you leave the starter house and only move into that base, so they won't block you whenever you decide to move.
The military d00dz keep doing that to me. I had one game where I wanted to move into Camp Kalenqua because the past 3 times I'd taken the Police station and I just wanted a change of pace. But nope, military d00dz camped out in Camp Kalenqua so I had to take the cop shop again. The thing that really pissed me off was the place was overrun with zombies, so I'd have to fight my way through every time I went there to do a mission for them.

One good thing I've noticed though, if an enclave is set up in a home site you can access your own storage locker, so if it's somewhere you moved out of or weren't planning on moving into anyway it's sorta like a free outpost.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
The military d00dz keep doing that to me. I had one game where I wanted to move into Camp Kalenqua because the past 3 times I'd taken the Police station and I just wanted a change of pace. But nope, military d00dz camped out in Camp Kalenqua so I had to take the cop shop again. The thing that really pissed me off was the place was overrun with zombies, so I'd have to fight my way through every time I went there to do a mission for them.

One good thing I've noticed though, if an enclave is set up in a home site you can access your own storage locker, so if it's somewhere you moved out of or weren't planning on moving into anyway it's sorta like a free outpost.
Didn't they fix that in the patch before 3.0?