Games too easy?

Clyde

Rescued Ally
The first game was easy too, unless you spent lots of hours on Breakdown. I actually like the difficulty. I like games that have a lot of stuff going on system-wise, take some time to learn, but once you learn are easy. Until you start doing things you know you shouldn’t do, or aren’t paying the proper attention. Where failure is based on your decisions and not your reflexes.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t be something harder, just not neccessarily in the vanilla.

I dunno...I just get this creeping feeling that the developer's idea of "making the game more difficult" will translate into more Infestations, more Fate cards and bullet sponge zombies. :cautious:
This is definitely the trend in games nowadays. Difficult does not mean "more HP and damage", it means smarter enemies. I like how Ferals will dodge then jump at you if you melee them, that adds to difficulty just like how hostile enclave members will dodge in melee but just making enemies take more damage to kill is not more difficult, it's just irritating.

I dunno...I just get this creeping feeling that the developer's idea of "making the game more difficult" will translate into more Infestations, more Fate cards and bullet sponge zombies. :cautious:
But here's the thing that genuinely confuses me...I am repeatedly seeing people, here and other sites, say how much better Breakdown is compared to SoD2; but all that does is give you the ability to fight against more zombies that do more damage. That is the only thing that increases the difficulty in the game mode and it is lauded as brilliant!

I thought it was pretty funny when all the initial reviews and guides by actual gaming sites were talking about how difficult hostile enclaves were and that being part of the reason it was really important to stay on good terms with them. Uh... no, they're considerably easier than regular infestations. Headshot 3 dudes and you're done. And you get loot. So, *better* than clearing infestations, haha.

And no, you really don't need to help them, either. They just drain your resources, never have anything good to trade, are insanely fickle and flighty about missing a mission or 2 (so all your previous investments become complete wastes) and neutral traders show up with all you need with enough regularity while asking for nothing but your influence points.
Ally Supply drop: gives ammo; fuel; snacks; bandages; petrol bombs.
Booze drop: petrol bombs; single ethenol; 102 influence resale booze and food.
Meds drop: meds rucksack; military healing kit; and something else... think bandages.

But to get guys to get to this level... lots of trial and error.

As for those stupid asshats. "We are new to your map, give us shit or we get pissy."

I rejected them then they had a 30 minute timer. Went to them, told em to get fucked. They go hostile, i killed em all. Never shed a tear.

del44Zslayer

Rescued Ally
I know we can make it harder for ourselves. I am absolutely loving this game... That being said it's pretty easy. I think the resources are pretty good, they can be difficult to manage until you become self sustained. I was playing with a friend today who had never played before. "Let's kill this hostile enclave. They're really hard to beat." I told him. Then proceeded to kill them all instantly with my AK. Okay. Plague heart. Those are hard! One clip of AK-47 ammo and the heart is dead. It didn't even get a chance to spawn plague zombies. I've had difficult encounters but it wasn't today. The encounters feel a bit too easy to me. How about you all?
I use the gunslinger perk and with the hostile enclaves, I literally snap straight to each head without moving a muscle, and they are dead in mere seconds. That being said, without the snap aim, it can be difficult at times, esp if they refuse to leave a building and you go inside and get stuck behind the dam door (enclave killed me once due to this, bastards.)
The plague hearts vary in difficulty for me. Sometimes I can destroy one "before" the spawns get to me, but then there are times they seem to spawn instantly right on top of me.
Juggs are quite hard to take down alone, esp if there are pesky zeds getting in your face whilst trying to focus on the big boy. Im sure it took about 30 some bullets to the head to even get one on his knees once.
Ferals I usually hit with a vehicle, as head on, they don't scoot to the side like in YOSE, I can straight plough through them this way.
Bloaters are way more toxic imo now. Also, those dam smoke grenade things, wow, they are like bloater in a can! Even standing close to the red cloud but not in it, causes that blurred screen, slow movement thing.

Viperho

Rescued Ally
make Plaque hearts more hardy against range/explosives. make players take it out with melee more, while still killable with range, make shots with firearms and explosives create a a blood plaque frenzy mode with noxious gas spewing in building and more BP zeds in frenzy.

make players take it out with melee more,
Gods, no. The AI is bad enough about running right up to the things. Hacking away at the hearts with melee is tedious as hell, and very dangerous due to the hearts AoE attack.
ake shots with firearms and explosives create a a blood plaque frenzy mode with noxious gas spewing in building
This already happens. When the heart is roughly at half health it releases a miasma that does a lot of damage if you happen to be in range.

Viperho

Rescued Ally
Gods, no. The AI is bad enough about running right up to the things. Hacking away at the hearts with melee is tedious as hell, and very dangerous due to the hearts AoE attack.

This already happens. When the heart is roughly at half health it releases a miasma that does a lot of damage if you happen to be in range.
Yea, but its a very short range and its not intense enough, so you punish melee option more imho. There should be more repercussions with range imho due to the higher attack rate. its too easy.

Yea, but its a very short range and its not intense enough, so you punish melee option more imho. There should be more repercussions with range imho due to the higher attack rate. its too easy.
I see what you're saying but I don't know if there's a good soultion. Perhaps if hearts only spawned in buildings that had to be entered before one could deal with them. However, this would require having the hearts spawn in static locations which would undermine some of their difficulty, as finding them is supposed to be part of the issue.

As for making ranged more difficult: outside of simply nerfing guns and explosives when dealing with the hearts, I don't think there's much UL can do to make them harder. I suggested in another thread that having hearts be the only place one can acquire plague samples as a possible solution to dealing with the lack of tension while taking them out.

Last edited:

Rebel36

Rescued Ally
I can't back this up with any evidence but it feels like the difficulty level increases some farther into the game and it "seems" like I see more specials after clearing all the plague hearts from the map. I do hope they implement a Breakdown type of DLC in the future or even better, a difficulty leveling system of some type. Difficulty levels would be the best option. The result would be that folks who just want to play on a easy relaxed level could do so, others who want some challenge but not insane difficulty could have that, and those who want a hard challenge could have it as well. Of course there should also be the extreme difficulty level many want, where not surviving is almost assured. This would please most players I think. It would depend on how it is implemented. It should have easy, hard, very difficult and insane modes at the least if not more. Perhaps another method would be to give players a way to choose options in the game to make it easier or harder.

Last edited:
I suggested in another thread that having hearts be the only place one can acquire plague samples as a possible solution to dealing with the lack of tension while taking them out.
It is FAR too easy to recover from Blood Plague infection, both pre and post countdown. I've run through a game where I limited myself by not being able to build an infirmary (or field hospital) and it makes you play the game in a much more considered way.

Making adjustments to the way you can either clear (currently rest and/or use three plague samples) or cure (craft a plague cure and administer) Blood Plague would be a good start imho.

There is even a radio message from Red Talon saying how difficult and expensive it is to make the cure at the moment, but we can whip it up in a home-made lab!

Just Too

Alamo Rookie
All my survivors that died were killed by a jugg in multiplayer because they laggy as heck and it's hard to determine what the jugg do next with all the teleporting around. But so far none has died in my own game.

hokimkim

Rescued Ally
Re-balance the cost and output of facilities, make self-sufficient cannot be attainable, no matter how you arrange, there's always one to two resources never to be obtained except by looting, otherwise there's no difficulty in resources management at all starting from moving to a mid-size base.

Make looting necessary by balancing facilities, not by fate card bullshit.

Geoffrey Card States on Twitter that they know a lot of players want it harder, and that they are on it. I hope this is a sincere statement.
View attachment 1800
Never saw this text until now. Ha! It explains everything. I love Card's shameless (and oh-so-transparent and mealy-mouthed) use of language . . .

" . . . we aimed at a difficulty level that would make it very accessible . . . "

Translation: We nerfed the fuck out of it until the fucker was little more than a pale, pasty, anorexic version of its former self.

Re-balance the cost and output of facilities, make self-sufficient cannot be attainable, no matter how you arrange, there's always one to two resources never to be obtained except by looting, otherwise there's no difficulty in resources management at all starting from moving to a mid-size base.

Make looting necessary by balancing facilities, not by fate card bullshit.
Here is a zinger.

Only get the cell towers that reduce the cooldown of radio options. No resources.