Games too easy?

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
I know we can make it harder for ourselves. I am absolutely loving this game... That being said it's pretty easy. I think the resources are pretty good, they can be difficult to manage until you become self sustained. I was playing with a friend today who had never played before. "Let's kill this hostile enclave. They're really hard to beat." I told him. Then proceeded to kill them all instantly with my AK. Okay. Plague heart. Those are hard! One clip of AK-47 ammo and the heart is dead. It didn't even get a chance to spawn plague zombies. I've had difficult encounters but it wasn't today. The encounters feel a bit too easy to me. How about you all?

Rossafur

Rescued Ally
I thought it was pretty funny when all the initial reviews and guides by actual gaming sites were talking about how difficult hostile enclaves were and that being part of the reason it was really important to stay on good terms with them. Uh... no, they're considerably easier than regular infestations. Headshot 3 dudes and you're done. And you get loot. So, *better* than clearing infestations, haha.

And no, you really don't need to help them, either. They just drain your resources, never have anything good to trade, are insanely fickle and flighty about missing a mission or 2 (so all your previous investments become complete wastes) and neutral traders show up with all you need with enough regularity while asking for nothing but your influence points.

Kizig

Rescued Ally
You should have kept playing it up with your friend. "Dude, can you BELIEVE? That was CLOSE!!! I'm honest to God shaking right now!" It's always a good time to make friends question your judgment.

Agreed on difficulty. Coming out of church I managed to get my van stuck on a guardrail while playing 2 of my new recruits. Both were massively encumbered, carrying mods and crap on their way to a mysterious trader, and the one I'm playing as is the lung cancer survivor. Heard a jug coming so jumped out. In seconds we've got this swarm of zombies around us, normals plus the jug, screamer and feral, proper trifecta. My girl winded instantly, I think "holy shit, I'm about to lose two characters."

Not so much. The two out of breath newbs slaughter everybody. They didn't even need to go back inside to rest after, went on about their day.

I'm even hearing of people trying to kamikaze their unwanted characters into infestations, not even taking melee weapons, and failing. They come out of the attempt with buffed up survivors.

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
You should have kept playing it up with your friend. "Dude, can you BELIEVE? That was CLOSE!!! I'm honest to God shaking right now!" It's always a good time to make friends question your judgment.

Agreed on difficulty. Coming out of church I managed to get my van stuck on a guardrail while playing 2 of my new recruits. Both were massively encumbered, carrying mods and crap on their way to a mysterious trader, and the one I'm playing as is the lung cancer survivor. Heard a jug coming so jumped out. In seconds we've got this swarm of zombies around us, normals plus the jug, screamer and feral, proper trifecta. My girl winded instantly, I think "holy shit, I'm about to lose two characters."

Not so much. The two out of breath newbs slaughter everybody. They didn't even need to go back inside to rest after, went on about their day.

I'm even hearing of people trying to kamikaze their unwanted characters into infestations, not even taking melee weapons, and failing. They come out of the attempt with buffed up survivors.
That's pretty bad. Hopefully they will amp the difficulty of zeds in a patch. I think the specials are pretty good. It's the zeds and plague zeds. They need to just be better at swamping you.

Righteous Ham

Alamo Rookie
Yeah, permadeath is still around but I can't help but feel as if the game is slightly more forgiving than SoD. Perhaps, as a veteran player I've an advantage of people jumping into the series now - certainly some of the Let's Player's are terrible enough to support this - but the game does seem easier at times.

I recall a standard method of testing a new survivor's mettle was to send them Jug hunting or to clear out infestations with little to no supplies and see if they could win. This could be a genuine challenge but not any longer it seems.

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
Most of us have not only double and triple (some even quadruple) digit amount of hours on the original 360 SoD, but also on the YOSE as well...with that in mind, once we got used to the few changes to the controls, is it really surprising we aren't having as much trouble compared to the relative newbies streaming?

Terrafutan

Alamo Rookie
I've said elsewhere on here that many of us veterans would find vanilla SoD1 too easy nowadays after all the time spent on Breakdown, vanilla SoD2 difficulty seems to be pitched somewhere similar and will hopefully get increased later. Gimme my nightmare mode!!
Agree with this. After hitting BD50, Story was so easy that we were comfortable 2x4ing a jug. I'm hoping that this is along the same vein and later DLCs will pump the difficulty up somewhat.

I still get that "oh shit!" feeling at times, and jugs are harder to take down now they don't aimlessly run into obstacles to get stunned, but it's not as difficult as high level breakdown.

Kid Kayole

Alamo Rookie
I still get that "oh shit!" feeling at times, and jugs are harder to take down now they don't aimlessly run into obstacles to get stunned, but it's not as difficult as high level breakdown.
Jugs in SoD1: I avoid unless I have to, when I do it's just 2 explosives in quick succession.

Jugs in SoD2: I jump out of cars when I hear them roar, that fat bastard is going dowwwwn! Run around in circles putting bullets in his head until I can melee him to death - I love it

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
Jugs in SoD1: I avoid unless I have to, when I do it's just 2 explosives in quick succession.

Jugs in SoD2: I jump out of cars when I hear them roar, that fat bastard is going dowwwwn! Run around in circles putting bullets in his head until I can melee him to death - I love it
I like the jugs in this game. I'm not sure why they're easier. They move so much better and are a lot more resistant to vehicles and such. I think they just fall victim to the survivor improvements of a new game. Better movement, more abilities, etc.

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
I think the jugs are harder because they have the lock on charge attack. now matter where or how I dodge the jug bends his run right to me. Plus the recovery/get up animation seems to take forever.
Yea that charge is crazy. I love it. I have managed to avoid it somehow. Everytime I do it's because I'm just running away as fast as possible. Haven't tried to dodge it, haha.

Viperho

Missing Survivor
I really think we are waaay too proficient with firearms at early levels. we should be fumbling with the gun, there should be obscene amounts of recoil, slow to reload, and jammin frequently. same with melee. that would help with difficulty.

Kizig

Rescued Ally
I really think we are waaay too proficient with firearms at early levels. we should be fumbling with the gun, there should be obscene amounts of recoil, slow to reload, and jammin frequently. same with melee. that would help with difficulty.
Good point, though (can't believe I'm for a change saying make characters BETTER) I'd like to then see reloads faster when skilled up. My badass maxed shooting specialization warlord still couldn't figure out how to load a magazine.

Speaking of this, I'd like to see skill gains slowed down in general. We're 15 months into ZA and characters are clueless, then in just a couple days they rocket to awesome. It wipes out the differences in starting skills quickly, makes everyone feel the same to me.

I've started experimenting with hostile enclaves. You CAN actually snipe from distance (suppressed), but after the first kill the remainders know exactly where you are every time. But it's still fun to set up a sniping position, and overall... killing hostiles has been key to adding variety to my firearms collection. I have two Precision G17s that I have only found thru looting hostile corpses.

Oh, and drone strikes work on hostile enclaves too.

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
I see people saying make the skill progression different. I can get on board with that. Personally though I think the skills are fine. They progress fast but having powerful characters is fun. That being said if we're going to have these powerful characters we should have just as powerful enemies. I shouldn't be able to fight my way through a hoard of zombies with an injured, tired survivor using only a screwdriver. I should only live in that circumstance through extreme measures.