First Impressions

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Decided to give Epic Tavern a go today, and since $25 is pretty cheap (even for early access), I dropped the cash and installed it. Been playing off and on today for few hours total. Firstly, off and on due to no controller support, which is usually a deal-breaker for me, but it's a fun game. For those who don't know, I game PC (usually), but couch play w/controller 'cause kb/m causes too much strain on my shoulders and neck, making extended gaming sessions too painful.

The concept has been explained elsewhere, but to recap briefly, you run a tavern and hire the patrons (heros) to work for you as adventurers. There's a surprising number of "classes" and races, which makes for some interesting people showing up in your bar. One of my first recruits was a Dwarf Paladin! Ha! But, he's got good combat skills and his social skill is focused on Leadership, which I definitely wanted for my team.

Essentially, I find myself looking to recruit people who fill one/two of the basic skills (4 options) so that when they go out on an adventure, the whole team hits all of the "points" (which is actually an on-screen detail). For example, one mission might have Combat/Persuasion as the needed skills. So my Barbarian and Fire Mage have the combat covered, whereas my Politician(!) has such a high score in the Persuasion skill that he covers that by himself. So, while he doesn't add anything to the combat aspect, he's still worthwhile enough that he gets to go with the party (in the back row of course). The game is very much in the vein of a D&D style atmosphere and, not surprisingly, conflict/combat resolution takes the form of a one button click for a die roll. You have an on-screen chance of success, which you can modify slightly by adjusting your adventurers' combat style. It's a little over simplistic, but hey, early access. Hopefully they'll allow further modifications in future updates (oh, like I have an item that lets my shaman summon skeletons, maybe the option to "use" that once per adventure to add a plus 5 effort effect).

So, the adventure part takes place while the tavern is closed (sort of) and then the other part is the tavern management (base-building, improving facilities) and a mini-game type interface where you can interact with the patrons and, using AP (action points, I assume) have a limited number of turns to serve them drinks/food, hear their story snippets or even spend a turn to hire one if the option appears.

Gripe-wise, for me personally, the beginning is wrong. You start off with, what I assume is, a high level group of four adventurers and have access to a lot of super neat gear and they all have amazing stats, then the real game begins and you're stripped down to level 1 nothings with nothing. Which, considering the beginning and that this is a D&D type game, made me figure it was gonna be loot-crazy and a whole Monty Haul experience, but so far (week 3 day 1, I think), I've had two whole items for loot rewards. Even money rewards are far below what I expected. I have yet to reach 1k gold and I'm barely breaking even on my daily balance at the tavern. Granted I do have all of my prices set to give +1 friendship and reputation, which I think helps it level faster.

Anyway, a few niggles as it were, but I'm having a good time with it. It's a nice casual game that I can play while I'm doing other things and it doesn't get in the way or punish me for not giving it all of my attention 100% of the time. Currently, I recommend it for those who like this type of casual play.

richiebee

Missing Survivor
Amazing review, thank you so much! We will definitely take all of this and discuss it amongst the team members. We really appreciate you taking the time to write it up. I definitely feel you on the lack o' loot at the moment, it's one of the things we'll be nailing down, once we start tightening down all the numbers. Keep your eyes peeled, we're doing a major overhaul of a bunch of systems, at the moment, mostly aimed at giving the player more agency and choice, especially while adventuring. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

If you can, drop by our dev streams MWF at 4pm Pacific on Twitch! http://twitch.tv/epictavern

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
@richiebee - hey! Thanks for popping in and chatting. I love how responsive and tuned in to your community you guys are. It's nice knowing that devs still pay attention to what people say about their game and take it into consideration.

Had a surprise day off today, so spent hours and hours playing today. Egads, it's addictive now. Did get to a place where money is flowing in and I figured out that I can send multiple teams out at once to tackle two or three quests per day, which really helped ramp up the income/loot/excitement.

Having a great time with it and looking forward to seeing what the future holds.