Fallout 76 - Things to Know

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
So with Fallout 76 released, what are the thoughts of the people who bought in? Was it what you expected? What are your takeaways from the time you've played so far? Good and bad alike.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
All right. The B.E.T.A testing was fenominal, very few bugs/problems and upon the release of the full title, there was stability issues, but I feel like this is a nice weird change, not how a traditional Fallout title stands in a fallout genre but seems realistily weird to take grasp of the new change such as a 24 Player always online.

The story is found upon listening to holotapes and reading notes or even taking a view of the wasteland after the bombs have dropped, witnessing corpses and bones in placed areas as to what happened.

The multiplayer is what struck me the most. I had a bounty on my head for trying to save my friend out of a foundation(he was trapped under the floor) I shot my friend’s house while not being in his group to do envioremental damage and blew the wall open with two shells, then I see a 20 cap bounty placed. I wasn’t hunted until the next day and into 2 hours of my playtime, I was shot from a random player while I was fending off feral ghouls, he teabagged(dick move for little effort) and when I respawned, he stood next to my dropped junk and upon arrival, he took nothing, just wanted the caps and he left. I was angry because I thought he would take my junk, but he didn’t, so I figured “hay, at least there’s no bounty and I can see the whole server again”(having a bounty removed player markers so you can’t just go on a spree.

The C.A.M.P building was nice but you need a whole lot of schematics in order to build many new home improvements besides the simple ones given early on.

STASH, you’re mobile locker holds up to 400lbs, problem is, it fills up very quickly if you’re one who loves to hoard all the things you see. I managed to use at least 3 hours making sure my inventory was clean and swept for more stuff, but concluding that I just take everything so I’m walking the wasteland just walking and waiting for AP regen which meant I couldn’t run and fast travel because I’m overburdened with junk and gear.

Gunplay is smooth and can be a bit wonky depending on your play style. I tend to steer away from melee because I have trouble hitting my targets. Higher level enemies are bullet sponges when you’re at a low level, but decently managed by friends/randoms/or smart plays.

So, Kaboom. There are three nuclear silos, Alpha Bravo, and Charlie, you can launch a nuke from any site but you fight waves of enemies to get to the launch pad, you can chose an area to bomb besides the starting area. What the nuclear blast will do is create a nuclear fallout in a designated area, spawn higher level enemies and radiation is high, so it’s best to be in power armor so you can have high resistance and decent weapons as well.

I got to experience a nuclear blast as my two friends fought their way while I was heading to the town encumbered, they launched a nuke in Charlestown and half the server cane by to help out, 9/10 dudes where in power armor, no one killed each other, not even the dude with the bounty. So the blast happens, we wait a second to have enemies spawn and we walk slowly in a group watching our surroundings and we were greeted with level 60+ enemies on rooftops, 9+ glowing ones at all direction on foot, we were loading ammo, we even fought super mutants on the roof of the capital, shit was intense. Rooftop wars and when I scoped in, my game froze, the music was playing, a minute later the server crashed. I guess there was too many things happening with all the fun chaos.

There are multiple factions from what I can tell. They are the Responders, Brotherhood of Steel(Roger Maxon), and The Enclave(Government/Vault Tec’s hierarchy. Being in the Enclave will grant you access to launch nukes from the silo, as I don’t know much from the Brotherhood. Responders are from the main story plot

I’m still taking the game slowly but this was just my general thought and knowledge. In my opinion, if you’re feeling skeptical of buying the game, just wait for a cheaper discounted price.

TheMuse

Missing Survivor
I actually really enjoy it! People saying there's no "story" are looking for the wrong things, there are plenty of stories through not just the holotapes, but the environment as well. The quests are pretty "typical", nothing super special so far (except for the firebreathers final exam, which was amazing), but the world and the other players is really what makes the game. I've had people try to gank me, I've had people help me through difficult quests, I've had people just randomly trade or drop stuff (tried to return the favor a few times). The base stuff is super fun, the pvp, while relatively infrequent, is really fun as well. The bounty system is a lot of fun, because the moment someone becomes wanted all eyes kinda turn in their direction and people start like fast traveling across the map to get close unless the person is at like an absurdly high level. The nuke system is terrifying, all the sirens start going and there's an announcement even if you're not near the launch sight, and you can hear it from everywhere on the map (have yet to see one though, everyone seems to nuke the bottom right hand corner). All in all, it's less like a straight forward game and more like a truly post-apocalyptic world where the actual goal is to rebuild society. Bethesda totally nailed it in my opinion, as far as mood and such. Yes there's glitches, yes there's stuff that could be tweaked and adjusted, but the game as I've played it so far is really fun and I've had a great time both solo and with friends.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
Fallout 3 was a solid 9.5/10 on the Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible, there was great story, small RPG element and some quirky shooting that I got over. The game had very few to no flaws at all, though the story was relied on the Lone Wanderer, that so happens to do everything like almost every main protagonists do.

Fallout 4 was a solid 8/10 new gunplay, engine, weapon and armor overlay, story was lacking and PRESTON GARVEY had me on my nerves. But I was hooked for a good long while, solid 30+ days into it.

Fallout 76 was my most anticipated game of 2018 as western cowboy simulator didn’t catch my attention. I figured 76 would be a considerable change from single player game to a 24 player server. I was disappointed after draining my fun into the first week. There were issues such as player inventory management, bugs, server instability. Though the game had some very reasonable flaws, it had some nice new elements such as the perk cards where you can’t just maximize your skills but sort them to your play style. Boss battles were fun with friends as fighting them alone would be very tough. Fallout 76 should have been released in a better state and or not even released at all as the game went on sale twice after the first week, showing a huge flaw in Bethesda’s part. My favorite Fallout games are 3 and 4 as they were simple and fun.

(slips in)
Hello? anyone still here?

ANYWAY, I apologize for this post. ;)

So Fallout 76 had a lot of hype behind it. Many people eagerly anticipated Bethesda's first attempt at an online only title. The pre-launch marketing was fairly slick and had everyone thinking FO76 would be like

But controversy after controversy and Bethesda's poor handling of it all shows the game is actually like

Even Angry Joe trashed failout 76, and he's one of the biggest bethesda fanboys you can find.
I don't know about this. With the Skyrim & Fallout 4 reviews IIRC he gave a lot of praise but also called attention to some of the main issues, despite giving high scores. How critical do you have to be to not be a fanboy even if you like the game? Maybe I'm an Angry Joe fanboy for bringing this up? :p
There are very, very few reviewers that bring up the degradation of Bethesda games RPG mechanics from Daggerfall to current titles so maybe they're all fanboys.

I don't know about this. With the Skyrim & Fallout 4 reviews IIRC he gave a lot of praise but also called attention to some of the main issues, despite giving high scores. How critical do you have to be to not be a fanboy even if you like the game? Maybe I'm an Angry Joe fanboy for bringing this up? :p
There are very, very few reviewers that bring up the degradation of Bethesda games RPG mechanics from Daggerfall to current titles so maybe they're all fanboys.
It's more that he refers to himself as a bethesda fanboy.