Fallout 76 - Things to Know

I don't have much of a horse in this race as I've only lightly played a couple other Fallout games, but it is the always online/no NPCs that does it in for me. No longer do I have real quests if there is nobody to give them.

Last edited:

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
I don't have much of a horse in this race as I've only played a couple other Fallout games, but it is the always online/no NPCs that does it in for me. No longer do I have real quests if there is nobody to give them.
I'm thinking the same way. I loved FO4 but 76 isn't doing it for me. I cancelled my preorder.

I don't play PvP games and the more I see about 76 is seems less like there is any decent single player action.

XzerothreeX

Rescued Ally
Sadly, my wife already digitally preordered this game for us, excited with the prospect of exploring the Wastes together. When I heard no NPCs, I instantly lost all interest. Give me another TES, a proper Fallout, Starfield, something. I too lost my taste for PvP a ways back.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
I can see why PvP isn't a very acceptable option when it comes to a single player franchise like Fallout, yes it is an MMO and you don't know what people will do, I was a bit bummed to see that there was not going to be any human NPCs, yet they can solve that problem simply if they wanted to, Very respectable opinions in my book.

I'm still deciding whether to get the standard or the other edition.

Julia Faye

Rescued Ally
I'm still deciding whether to get the standard or the other edition.
What's to decide? I got the basic bitch version because I don't really care for physical items like the stupid plastic pip boy or this dumb PA helmet. And the Tricentenial edition only has cosmetic paint jobs, an emote and an outfit that thousands of other people will all be wearing too. Is that worth an extra $20 to you? Was an easy hard pass on that for me and I'm usually the first idiot pre ordering the most expensive edition for the cosmetics. But these sound incredibly underwhelming.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
I'm getting the $80 edition of FO76 as a gift for doing 100% for a friend for State of Decay 1 and 2.
I'm having high hopes for the game but I do agree, it's expensive just for some cosmetics and starting gear. Pricey? Yes, but there will be free content along with the way with cosmetic microtransactions.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Bethesda released a pseudo-apology/please forgive our early access that's not early access letter about FO76. It's going to be an interesting launch!

Also, you can (could? Loophole may be closed) preorder from Amazon, get your beta key and then cancel your preorder if you only want to check out the B.E.T.A without being stuck with the game now.

I haven't really been keeping up on news because it doesn't look like a game I'd be interested in, but after watching some of the preview videos and other things the past couple days.....I have to say that unless bethesda seriously walks back all the crap they're throwing into 76 like insisting on including the BoS and other things that would not have even existed yet in the established FO timeline they're going to do nothing but further alienate longtime fans of the series. I'm going to predict it will make the hate heaped on FO4 seem like a relaxing massage.

It probably sounds like beating a dead horse by this point, but it's one dead horse that needs to be beaten.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
I like the games that make you feel isolated, and powerless, I enjoyed Fallout 3, NV, and 4. I kinda scratch my head to 76, but I’m getting it free, so I figured I’d pump some hours into it.

Erudain

Alamo Rookie
So, they are warning people to expect a shit-ton of bugs because for the first time in a while they won't have modders fixing them with the unofficial patch?.....that means Bethesda fixing them themselves? each re-release of Skyrim still has the same bugs that original Skyrim FFS....

So, they are warning people to expect a shit-ton of bugs because for the first time in a while they won't have modders fixing them with the unofficial patch?.....that means Bethesda fixing them themselves? each re-release of Skyrim still has the same bugs that original Skyrim FFS....
Wait, what? Bethesda is going to be fixing bugs on their own? This cannot end well.

That is a startlingly good point. Bethesda has become the poster child for complacency when it comes to such things. Do they plan to actually insist on "quality" quality assurance for once? And if so, what does it say about their previous efforts on this front?

Perhaps, we'll end up with the worst most blatantly tone deaf response and they'll let fans post an unofficial patch to the creation club. The only caveat being one must purchase it.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
Alright, got to play the B.E.T.A. for another four hours and I’ll say, it was pretty good. You meet players who are just about where you are such as either starting off or doing events to get those good rewards. Gun play can be a bit off but manageable. Looting is fair and being encumbered grants you the inability to fast travel. You can use caps to fast travel but the farther you are, the expensive it is. Traveling to Vaukt 76, friends, or your camp is free. Trading feels like it’s worthy as you have little caps. You follow the Oversteer’s quest once leaving the vault and it’s a lengthy one as you find goodies and find out that the game can be punishing if you don’t take aware of the mechanics. You must feed yourself in order to regain action points, you can’t spam VATS as it will drain AP, take aware of the surroundings. You can build your base but you’ll need a lot of recipes to build what you desire. Your CAMP can be placed just about anywhere as long as it doesn’t interfere with marked locations.

My one issue was the PvP, I barely took damage from this one player, he wanted to fight, so I decided that a shotgun was better than a pistol... I DIDNT EVEN HURT HIS A$$, I was angry that I could hardly do damage as I should have been doing. Gun runs smooth 95% of the time as I had to back out of the scrap menu just to make it run more smoothly. I gotta day, it’s a bit weird without live humans but it felt great.

The map is so damn huge, it would take a month just to clear it out and mark all locations.

Ask any questions, I’m not praising the game saying it is the best because I have never played Fallout 1,2, or New Vegas.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
How does PVP work? Is there an opt-in/opt-out or is it just a part of the game?
PvP it is engaged once both players shoot or hit each other.

PvE: Red hit detection
PvP: Yellow Hit detection with very little damage with a message pop-up.
You can dodge PvP and block the player, that blocked player won’t be able to find you on the map but can search for you if they are determined.
If you don’t retaliate while getting killed/murdered they will become a Wanted Murderer and cannot hide from the map, murderer pays the bounty once killed by a bounty hunter.
Upon death, you drop Junk only, don’t worry about loosing gear.