Excellent analysis of the Craftsmanship skill

Gmutant

Zed Hunter
Some great points and ideas from Git Gud Fox on YouTube here:

Yeah. Craftsmanship is really an underwhelming skill.

He has a really good video on how the game calculates and dispenses damage. It's actually very similar to the argument that I've made on this forum about why the damage stat is complete BS.

futurehermit

Rescued Ally
The only thing I use it for is Barracks 2. Extra bolts is ok but not amazing. Not a fan of the forge. Construction is incredibly terrible. Metalworking basically terrible

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
The only thing I use it for is Barracks 2. Extra bolts is ok but not amazing. Not a fan of the forge. Construction is incredibly terrible. Metalworking basically terrible
Maybe if you could make better weapons with the forge it wouldn't be so bad. There isn't anything special about the weapons you can make with the forge so it's useless. I'm pretty sure all of the pre order bonus weapons and anything you can get from bounty broker is way better then anything you can craft.

futurehermit

Rescued Ally
Even if the breakdown of materials to parts was better that would be something. I am in a situation right now where I could use the forge. I have a fully built base at the strip mall and have been running with the staging area, so I have now got up to 40+ materials with nothing to spend them on. Considering replacing the staging area with a forge. But the fuel cost is a big deterrent for me.

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
It is quite possibly the most useless skill. Maybe if the mods construction could make were decent. For example I like engineering because making weapon attachments is actually good. I haven't ran a forge or an autobody shop in forever. I think they've made some improvements to the autobody though so hopefully they will look at the forge soon.

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
I've never once used a forge or an auto shop and never plan to. They are the very definition of useless. The forge weapons are trash unless you are literally just starting and have nothing but the crap weapons that people come equipped with, but then again if you're just starting you don't have the resources to build a forge and make weapons, and even if you had the resources it's still pointless because you will find better weapons than the ones that can be made in the forge within your first hour of playing.

Auto shop adds absolutely nothing worthwhile either since you can make advanced toolboxes and upgrade kits without one. Even if the auto shop fully repaired parked vehicles once a day like in OG SOD it wouldn't be worth it because anyone, anywhere, at any time, can repair a vehicle with a toolbox.

futurehermit

Rescued Ally
I've never once used a forge or an auto shop and never plan to. They are the very definition of useless. The forge weapons are trash unless you are literally just starting and have nothing but the crap weapons that people come equipped with, but then again if you're just starting you don't have the resources to build a forge and make weapons, and even if you had the resources it's still pointless because you will find better weapons than the ones that can be made in the forge within your first hour of playing.

Auto shop adds absolutely nothing worthwhile either since you can make advanced toolboxes and upgrade kits without one. Even if the auto shop fully repaired parked vehicles once a day like in OG SOD it wouldn't be worth it because anyone, anywhere, at any time, can repair a vehicle with a toolbox.
How do you make a vehicle upgrade kit without an auto shop?

Alan Gunderson

Rescued Ally
I really agree with the video for a few reasons.

I'll happily take automechanics because it is Driver Quirk Lite when you max it out. It lets you do all of the mechanical crafting you need, and discounts tool kits to boot. The driving perks are nothing to scoff at when you reach 7 in Automechanics. And you know what? I don't even like the upgraded vehicles. I refuse to use them. I'll drive my clean Norma for days before I consider the Megaladon or Vandito.

A key element here is that automechanics makes one of the most common activities in SOD 2 less punishing and easier to enjoy - driving.

Now, craftsmanship? How often do I get to enjoy any of these benefits?

Construction really does need some other kind of boost. The extra labour from 7 and barracks option is nice and all, but then you don't need it at all once you are finished setting it up. I liked some of the suggestions, but I say that construction should add some kind of numerical bonus to the crafting options, or maybe even new unique abilities. Not going to lie, way too late for anything as in depth as the video suggested. But some extra flavor, morale boosting or even new facility mod craftables would be a great sign of life.

Currently, I have a construction expert in my lineup. I appreciate that they randomly pick up parts and add to the stockpile. That benefit is definitely not at the bottom of anyone's list when it comes to expertise-specific random events. But I don't even have that character for that reason. I have that character because they generate 30 morale due to a combination of two morale-related traits (shop teacher and migraines), and a unique medicine hero bonus because of their negative health deficiency. The character himself has the desire to survive, and they are an interesting character. But construction? It's not what's saving him.

UL needs to take advantage of this feedback while they are still adding more stuff to the game.

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
I really agree with the video for a few reasons.

I'll happily take automechanics because it is Driver Quirk Lite when you max it out. It lets you do all of the mechanical crafting you need, and discounts tool kits to boot. The driving perks are nothing to scoff at when you reach 7 in Automechanics. And you know what? I don't even like the upgraded vehicles. I refuse to use them. I'll drive my clean Norma for days before I consider the Megaladon or Vandito.

A key element here is that automechanics makes one of the most common activities in SOD 2 less punishing and easier to enjoy - driving.

Now, craftsmanship? How often do I get to enjoy any of these benefits?

Construction really does need some other kind of boost. The extra labour from 7 and barracks option is nice and all, but then you don't need it at all once you are finished setting it up. I liked some of the suggestions, but I say that construction should add some kind of numerical bonus to the crafting options, or maybe even new unique abilities. Not going to lie, way too late for anything as in depth as the video suggested. But some extra flavor, morale boosting or even new facility mod craftables would be a great sign of life.

Currently, I have a construction expert in my lineup. I appreciate that they randomly pick up parts and add to the stockpile. That benefit is definitely not at the bottom of anyone's list when it comes to expertise-specific random events. But I don't even have that character for that reason. I have that character because they generate 30 morale due to a combination of two morale-related traits (shop teacher and migraines), and a unique medicine hero bonus because of their negative health deficiency. The character himself has the desire to survive, and they are an interesting character. But construction? It's not what's saving him.

UL needs to take advantage of this feedback while they are still adding more stuff to the game.
Remind me what automechanics does for driving. I didn't realize it did anything to physical driving. I only thought the driving skill did that.

osamaclees

Alamo Rookie
Remind me what automechanics does for driving. I didn't realize it did anything to physical driving. I only thought the driving skill did that.
automechanics use less fuel when they are driving and have vehicle stealth, and the auto shop passively reduces fuel consumption by 30% for everyone
my automechanic has "low pain threshold" so has -30 hp which not an issue but can only achieve 6 star fighting so no spec nor insta kill moves so she doesnt get used so dont really get to see the difference. have definitly noticed the difference when i have an auto shop though. still not worth a space on an auto shop.
i have someone with "bold driver" or something which gives a passive fuel efficiency even though card doesnt say so
theres 2x types of "bold driver" one gives driving one does not (i have the one that doesnt) but both get the fuel efficiency

Alan Gunderson

Rescued Ally
Reduced fuel consumption while driving by 25% as well as 50% additional vehicle stealth. It also regularly spawns gas tanks in your storage as an expertise-specific morale event. If you're on the fence about the driving skill and really need a mechanical expert, automechanics gives you what is basically the important stuff of both.

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Reduced fuel consumption while driving by 25% as well as 50% additional vehicle stealth. It also regularly spawns gas tanks in your storage as an expertise-specific morale event. If you're on the fence about the driving skill and really need a mechanical expert, automechanics gives you what is basically the important stuff of both.
Yeah, there's really no reason to take driving over automechanics if you have the choice between the two, either from books or recruits. Reduced damage to cars is basically worthless since they are so easy to repair.

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
Wow. Don't understand why they would do that. Makes autoshop doubly useless.
Seems that way. Better resource cost on repair kits and vehicle bonuses though. It's not entirely useless, just gets beat out from the other large slot options. From a roleplaying perspective at least you can still use it if you want too. The forge on the other hand...

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
You cant. You must have an Auto Shop to craft the vehicle upgrade kits.
Also bulk-crafting toolkits at Auto Shop was recently added.
(Automechanics knowledge needed for advanced toolkits and to build an Auto Shop.)
Lol just realized how bad my response was. My brain thought he was asking how to craft toolkits. Not vehicle upgrade kits.