Curious event?

I think if we had a similar mix of story enclaves and random ones, most people would've been satisfied. I don't recall anyone complaining about having to see Becca or Carl or Job again every time they started a new campaign. What I do remember is several times people bringing up how they'd love to see more of those people and a continuation of their story.

Even if a direct follow up was impossible, one would think the lesson UL would take away from those discussions was how much people liked the story enclaves and wanted to see more of them. Instead we got a half-backed compromise wherein the "story" enclaves have a narrative (in the loosest sense of the term) that the player can follow but they come across as far more tedious due to the lack of meat to characters or quests.

It's funny in a way. For every new thing in SoD2 that works, several of the bits they brought over from the original seem inferior. In fact, if it weren't for the graphics and multiple maps I'd have no trouble thinking SoD was the sequel for all the things it tends to "refine" from the SoD2.
And include mod support for Yose/OG SoD and add in multiplayer to that (preferably with servers and you have a better SoD2 than the SoD2 we have)

Pipe Bomber

Missing Survivor
Just to add to the curiousness,

I did the RT urgent survivor mission again last night and had to defeat a large horde of plague Z to save the trapped operatives (for which heroics they gave me a part, yes that’s right a single solitary part..)

Still, I gained at least 4 plague samples, which was nice... especially since I cleared the plague hearts from this map about 2 weeks ago..

I would actually like a story behind an enclave that I have to go and murder.

Not just told "these jerks have given us the finger one last time. They die now, go make it happen"

Cut scene with them coming to my base saying "hey! Fuck you" and then throwing a molotov at my base or a grenade or some shit. And then i go and kill em.

But just me herpe derpe down the street and return back to base. "Those guys..." no there is too much much missing.
I'd like to see something like that with the cannibal enclave. Maybe a radio broadcast from an enclave about a missing person and you find evidence that they were taken by another enclave (the cannibals), so you go to confront them and find nothing and they claim to have never seen the missing person, but they give you a rucksack of food (strange meat) that you take back to the other enclave as a "peace offering".

They all get sick from eating it and you go back to find out what it was and catch the cannibals trying to kill another survivor that they say went crazy and attacked them so you choose between saving the other person or helping kill them. If you save them you then search the house and find a hidden door to a basement with a fridge full of human remains, and the enclave that started the mission becomes allied. If you help the cannibals they become allied and offer a supply drop that contains food rucksacks of strange meat and strange meat pies.

Beakie

Rescued Ally
I get that they want us to make our own stories.... but they have to give us more of a framework and lore to work with otherwise I can't get attached to the people like I did in SOD 1. I mean little things like having the Siblings from the tutorial actually acknowledge that they are related.

Shinzou

Missing Survivor
I get that they want us to make our own stories.... but they have to give us more of a framework and lore to work with otherwise I can't get attached to the people like I did in SOD 1. I mean little things like having the Siblings from the tutorial actually acknowledge that they are related.
Yeah, there is zero relationship building, and absolutely no reason to get attached to any survivor, beyond skills, and maybe looks. SOME of the backstories are fine, but woefully misplaced (i had the "my son at the carnival" story trigger several times with the lesbian on/off duo... both of them even; note: of course lesbians can have children, but somehow that shouldn't be the first story triggered for either of them in three starts i think...)

It is even worse when one of the starting duo dies... i got more sadness from some random enclave leaving then the death of a loved one.

I really do not understand how Undead Labs could possible have thought, NO story is better than SOME story. While i love freeform play, at least give us something to explore and work towards... else this is JUST breakdown, broken down.

Last edited:

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
I would actually like a story behind an enclave that I have to go and murder.

Not just told "these jerks have given us the finger one last time. They die now, go make it happen"

Cut scene with them coming to my base saying "hey! Fuck you" and then throwing a molotov at my base or a grenade or some shit. And then i go and kill em.

But just me herpe derpe down the street and return back to base. "Those guys..." no there is too much much missing.
That one and the one were the survivor that wants revenge for a enclave killing his friend. LOL For all I know the enclave in question just moved into town and old boy and his buddy tried to robbed them.