Curious event?

Pipe Bomber

Missing Survivor
I recently got a time sensitive survivor mission from the Network, so I hot footed it to the agent who needed help and managed to get there before they became a Z. However upon arriving the agent instantly became hostile and started blazing away so I shot him and inherited his kit.

This startled me, why would the agent attack me?(especially as my guys are providing food and meds for every enclave for free..) I figured it was a glitch, but I then noticed my character was carrying an RT stormbringer, RT blade and a RT rucksack. I hadn’t equipped them like this specifically, it was just chance.

Could this have caused the Network agent to turn hostile? Or was it a glitch?

Given the rarity of the event I have not been able to recreate the situation.

Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Pipe Bomber

Missing Survivor
Ok so I think it’s safe to say it’s a glitch.

I just did a survivor mission for RT, and had to go with the mission giver to rescue 2 stranded colleagues. Upon arrival both stranded RT members were hostile and proceeded to attack us. I quickly killed them and they turned to Z and attacked again.

Finnished them off and the mission giver gave me a chemistry book and said I could join RT one day... great.

e5futter

Rescued Ally
Alrighty. Your post just confirmed my suspicion.

This is a rare bug that can occur. It happens when a mission giver is supposed to be dead but lives. Just like those missions where the hostile enclave screams for help but when you get there they die. Which would mean that whenever the mission comes up the person or persons are automatically always hostile before they fall dead.

So my theory is that they are automatically hostile, are supposed to die, but end up living. That's why missions are turning into traps.

My advice: Bring heavy firepower to RT and Network missions from now on. Ol' King of AR lost a survivor last night to this bug because Red Talon went insane.

Last edited:
On a similar note: The 'hostile enclave in trouble' mission has started to annoy me. So, there's no actual way to improve relations with a hostile enclave, so when this mission pings, there's only two possible outcomes: Either (A) they become zedded as you arrive, or (B) you let the mission time out, and there's now a new hostile enclave on the map.

So I guess I'll just go with option B from now on, since it's the only option that has any sense of enjoyment.

On a similar note: The 'hostile enclave in trouble' mission has started to annoy me. So, there's no actual way to improve relations with a hostile enclave, so when this mission pings, there's only two possible outcomes: Either (A) they become zedded as you arrive, or (B) you let the mission time out, and there's now a new hostile enclave on the map.
Yeah, the way hostile enclaves work is really baffling. It's great that UL decided to allow for such things and makes sense in the context of the game but why these enclaves are hostile simply does not. They pop up on the map and text regarding them is very misleading, claiming we've had issues with them for awhile. When this first happened I legitimately thought, I'd messed something up.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
Yeah, the way hostile enclaves work is really baffling. It's great that UL decided to allow for such things and makes sense in the context of the game but why these enclaves are hostile simply does not. They pop up on the map and text regarding them is very misleading, claiming we've had issues with them for awhile. When this first happened I legitimately thought, I'd messed something up.
First time I had a RT mission go hostile... they were packing a Timberwolf... and was losing half health in a connected hit. Took cover behind the summer chair set and waited for the reload. Reload. .22LR from my Prepper's 22 and dead Talon. Never get into a fist fight with them. Always gun em down first. Head shots or no shots.

But when the Network Trader and company go hostile... that is a rare screw up and worth the weight in loot.

Or use 150 grenades and Molotovs.

XzerothreeX

Rescued Ally
Just happened to me tonight. I believe E5 is correct. The Network agent needs help. I arrive to find her swarmed with regular Z's, plus a feral and a screamer. She gets downed as soon as I am close enough to trigger mission. She's downed again before I drop the last Z. She tells me her team needs help, we head that way. Not a zed in sight when I reach their barn. I jump out of the truck, they go hostile and are promptly shot in the head. Irritating, but the loot was pretty sweet. A tricked out MP5 with advanced supressor, 50 round Kriss Vector (I've forgotten what the game calls them.) with advanced supressor, higher end melee weapons and a bit of ammo. Both were carrying a pair of Network 'How to' manuals, worth 125 influence a pop. Nice grab, but I don't like wasting friendlies, either.

I would actually like a story behind an enclave that I have to go and murder.

Not just told "these jerks have given us the finger one last time. They die now, go make it happen"

Cut scene with them coming to my base saying "hey! Fuck you" and then throwing a molotov at my base or a grenade or some shit. And then i go and kill em.

But just me herpe derpe down the street and return back to base. "Those guys..." no there is too much much missing.

Viperho

Rescued Ally

Not just told "these jerks have given us the finger one last time. They die now, go make it happen"

Cut scene with them coming to my base saying "hey! Fuck you" and then throwing a molotov at my base or a grenade or some shit. And then i go and kill em.

But just me herpe derpe down the street and return back to base. "Those guys..." no there is too much much missing.
yup just more proof this game is half baked and was rushed out the door naked. so sad. so much potential wasted. nothing really *happens* to this game world. its sad. Atleast give us some destructible environments or something that shows permanence. like that scene from walking dead where the king fell through the museum floor. that would be cool...

Last edited:
Stronger narrative quest design would benefit the game overall. Quests don't necessarily need to be complex, but without something to drive the experience, eventually the game's hollowness becomes evident to the player. I've come to believe that UL took the wrong lesson away from Breakdown.

Viperho

Rescued Ally
Stronger narrative quest design would benefit the game overall. Quests don't necessarily need to be complex, but without something to drive the experience, eventually the game's hollowness becomes evident to the player. I've come to believe that UL took the wrong lesson away from Breakdown.
You can tell they wanted more narrative, I felt the game starts off rather good (not great) in the tutorial and even through the blood plague tutorial narrative and then it just falls apart. there needs to more then just enclaves. We need more random events to the game world to spice things up. Don't get me started on the final mission either...

You can tell they wanted more narrative, I felt the game starts off rather good (not great) in the tutorial and even through the blood plague tutorial narrative and then it just falls apart.
The tutorial does give the impression of a greater story, it's true. Though, I wouldn't say it falls apart so much as it simply ceases to be. Your starting characters, which give the barest hints at personalities, simply revert to drones the moment they enter the main game. Damningly, if you choose either of the couples, and one of them perishes, their lover gives no indication of having noticed at all.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
Though, I wouldn't say it falls apart so much as it simply ceases to be.
I think the defining moment where the attempted storyline ends is the mission where some random survivors nearby have found a cure for the blood plague, and just need three (really, three?) samples to make it... and they'll tell you how. That is the most detail ever provided about the blood plague.

think the defining moment where the attempted storyline ends is the mission where some random survivors nearby have found a cure for the blood plague, and just need three (really, three?) samples to make it... and they'll tell you how. That is the most detail ever provided about the blood plague.
That mission only pops up if you skip the tutorial. If you don't skip it you'll use the doctor the story provides to craft the cure, which makes a heck of a lot more sense; until recently said doctor was working with a large well equipped team provided by the army.

The lack of substance is why the Sandbox of SoD2 fails. But with SoD 1 we got Substance with 85% of the enclave interactions. And this is why SoD 1 Sandbox was so successful (breakdown) cause we all played and beat the game and wanted more play...

Breakdown then gave us the Play more that we wanted and it was at choice that we could go back and play story or choose the sandbox.

Lifeline became Sandbox after finishing the game.

All of which were far more than what we have with SoD 2.

And worst is I would actually prefer being overwhelmed at the staging area, and then trying to get a car (like in the trailer for SoD 2)

This is one of my personal reasons for being upset with the game. I want that. And we do not have that. Can not have that and worst. Will never have that. And that is the biggest loss of story for me.

But with SoD 1 we got Substance with 85% of the enclave interactions.
I think if we had a similar mix of story enclaves and random ones, most people would've been satisfied. I don't recall anyone complaining about having to see Becca or Carl or Job again every time they started a new campaign. What I do remember is several times people bringing up how they'd love to see more of those people and a continuation of their story.

Even if a direct follow up was impossible, one would think the lesson UL would take away from those discussions was how much people liked the story enclaves and wanted to see more of them. Instead we got a half-backed compromise wherein the "story" enclaves have a narrative (in the loosest sense of the term) that the player can follow but they come across as far more tedious due to the lack of meat to characters or quests.

It's funny in a way. For every new thing in SoD2 that works, several of the bits they brought over from the original seem inferior. In fact, if it weren't for the graphics and multiple maps I'd have no trouble thinking SoD was the sequel for all the things it tends to "refine" from the SoD2.