Cooking Corner

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
As I was cooking dinner tonight, I thought it would be nice to have a thread here to discuss cooking. Whether you're just learning, master-level home chef, or an actual professional chef, let's talk about what we're doing, what we know, and what we want to know.

Over the last twenty years, I've become pretty good in the kitchen. My ex was a vegan, so I've spent the last two years cooking vegan dishes that actually taste good! It was never my goal or intent to make "meat-like" dishes, but rather to cook food that tasted great and contained no animal product. Now that she's out of the picture, I've spent the last week trying to learn how to cook meat again.

Tonight, I'm cooking butterflied pork chop, homemade quick-kraut and buttered baby carrots which I'll finish (caramelize) in the pan that I cooked the chop in.

What's happening in your kitchen?

Well, as I used to be a baker, one would think, I'd know all sorts of cool things.

One would be wrong too. The best I can manage is sandwiches, subs and canned goods. Once, I used the mystical baking arts to craft a pizza from scratch. It was a fun project but turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Well, as I used to be a baker, one would think, I'd know all sorts of cool things.

One would be wrong too. The best I can manage is sandwiches, subs and canned goods. Once, I used the mystical baking arts to craft a pizza from scratch. It was a fun project but turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.
What? I've made homemade pizza many times. Instant yeast is essential and yeah, it's a lot of work, but it's so good.

Pastry dough! That is my nemesis! Now that I'm cooking with real butter again, I might be able to make a reasonable effort and get good results, but vegan pastry dough is neigh unto impossible.

Just Too

Alamo Rookie
If you want to move beyond that, then yes, it counts. What is it that you'd like to try cooking and how can we help you move away from the microwave and closer to your stove?
Sometimes I make a good egg sandwich here and there but if I think of something a little more "bigger" then I'll sure to ask you peeps 👍

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
My kitchen of late has been turkey jook and ham jook...but mostly Maruchan Beef Ramen and Totino's Pizzas because it's easy to set a timer and walk away. It never comes out looking like the pictures you find on Google Images though; usually looks more like prison gruel found in fantasy/prison movies that the chef scoops out with a spoon and drops on your tray while giving you the stink eye.

It tastes better than it smells at least, so that's a plus.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Like my SoD character I really can cook. It's usually just a question of 'can I be bothered?' 😊
At home I usually do casseroles, roasts, rissotto, cakes, muffins, egg & bacon pies (learnt from my Nan), sausage rolls, and my favourite hedgehog slice 😆

My phone is about to die so that's all I can think of at the moment, that I can do.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
I keep looking at lobsters in the supermarket, it's something I've never done yet always wanted to try. Wouldn't have the first clue where to start though? Prepping or eating them? ☚ī¸
I've done tails many times, but I've never cooked a live lobster. My understanding is that it's head-first into boiling water and then wait until done. Otherwise, clarified butter is essential for the experience.

del44Zslayer

Rescued Ally
I've done tails many times, but I've never cooked a live lobster. My understanding is that it's head-first into boiling water and then wait until done. Otherwise, clarified butter is essential for the experience.
Oh god no I couldn't do the boiling alive bit. I mean to get a non live lobster. I'm just not able to do that, still want to try lobster meat though. Is it a fishy type taste or gamey? Yes I also saw something too about clarified butter being best. 👍

K-Man

Missing Survivor
I'm trying to learn, but... being slightly colorblind and having 90% of the time a cold, it's hard.
Most of the time I burn stuff, or use too much pepper/salt to make it edible.

Right now I'm trying to learn my mum's brownies recipe!
I have become pretty decent at making my grandma's fried chicken and my pa's pasta!:D

Someone, share a recipe and I'll try it!

del44Zslayer

Rescued Ally
I'm trying to learn, but... being slightly colorblind and having 90% of the time a cold, it's hard.
Most of the time I burn stuff, or use too much pepper/salt to make it edible.

Right now I'm trying to learn my mum's brownies recipe!
I have become pretty decent at making my grandma's fried chicken and my pa's pasta!:D

Someone, share a recipe and I'll try it!
I need a good homemade brownie recipe also, Iv tried doing certain ones of the internet but they never tasted very good, not cholatey enough. The box recipes are ok for quickness but I want a recipe I can make many batches in one go from?

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Oh god no I couldn't do the boiling alive bit. I mean to get a non live lobster. I'm just not able to do that, still want to try lobster meat though. Is it a fishy type taste or gamey? Yes I also saw something too about clarified butter being best. 👍
Sounds like you're wanting tails then. Cut down the back with kitchen shears, pull the meat out to rest on the shell (edit: leave it attached at the tail) and run a skewer through the meat to keep it from curling. (I don't know the conversion, so I wont give time and temp).

I don't think lobster is fishy at all, but more like a richer shrimp flavor. If it's not overcooked (rubbery) then it's very tender meat. Yum, now I'm hungry. :D

Last edited:

del44Zslayer

Rescued Ally
Sounds like you're wanting tails then. Cut down the back with kitchen shears, pull the meat out to rest on the shell (edit: leave it attached at the tail) and run a skewer through the meat to keep it from curling. (I don't know the conversion, so I wont give time and temp).

I don't think lobster is fishy at all, but more like a richer shrimp flavor. If it's not overcooked (rubbery) then it's very tender meat. Yum, now I'm hungry. :D
Thanks for the advice, definitely gonna give it a go, you never know till you try right? 😜