Co-op Entropy (My first plunge into SoD2 co-op)

Just Too

Alamo Rookie
I was in a game with someone from the forum, and I only mention this because I was operating under the assumption that we had established some trust based on this. We were at base, and to make sure I didn't hold up the group, I took a seat in the truck and told them "Watch out for me, I'll be right back."

Long story short, I came back from going number 1, to the truck on fire, my survivor still inside--almost dead. This was my first community, so I was a little disappointed that she almost died in such a pathetic way. But I was able to patch her up. The kicker was no one in the party seemed to care.

Bathroom breaks from then on out were handled by jumping on top of a truck or staying somewhere in base. Then pray you don't get tethered.

A Follow up question:
How SMOOTH is the co-op for everyone? Just like @Just Too , I also have a clip where I seamlessly trip and lose half my deep health bar. And with permadeath and blood plague, it's a huge turn off for playing multiplayer for me. It actually really upsets me at times because anytime the game freezes while in a truck, I just cringe because I don't know what's going to happen next.

I like playing my favorite character, I like my favorite character going to help strangers. But I'm always hesitant to do so.

edit: I'm not sure why the co-op experience is so chop, my other games work pretty great in multiplayer. I thought in the months after release that this would be smoothed out, but for me, it hasn't yet.
Wow man sorry to hear about that. I dont even bother bringing my best survivors out because so far all the deaths were in multiplayer. The first one was because of the game literally broke by bringing me back to where the jugg was when I was trying to run away and the worst part is I was the host.
I have the link of it here.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArXIQ5-Msf-CgiywoGZZPe94tc3o

For how Smooth multiplayer is....well now I guess its "better" now than how it was before but not really much. The zeds lag all over the place so they hit you out of nowhere and its really annoying when the blood plague ones hit you out of nowhere. And the driving.... yeah you can see how that is below

Just Too

Alamo Rookie
I do feel the need to follow up— since creating this thread, I have encountered my share of slapdicks in SoD2 co-op. Objectively, they've been rare... but their shenanigans are soooo basic and predictable:
  • Driving away just as you try to get in a vehicle
  • Driving around you, blaring the siren or horn to draw in zeds
  • Throwing grenades at you, followed by the laugh emote
It makes cleaning out their vehicle at base ('cuz they don't know the R1 feature) then promptly leaving their game all the more satisfying.
That's one of the reasons why I dont bother playing co op with randoms. Even with friends I get this OCD trigger when they just randomly decide to go into a car without asking me :unsure: and they just start driving around wasting gas.

That's one of the reasons why I dont bother playing co op with randoms.
I've only volunteered, never actually let people into my game... (1) I don't need any help. Been playing solo with zero followers since launch, and have never run into any situation I couldn't handle alone. (2) the most common games I've volunteered for have been new players that genuinely appreciated the help. Second most common, were idiots that shot a flare halfway thru not destroying a plague heart.

Nothing more "ffffffuuuuuuuuu..." than dropping into a game with horrific lag, surrounded by red-zeds, enduring all the desync'd cheap shots, only to find the player slowly melee attacking the plague heart with no stamina.

"Sooooo.... did you need actual help, or did you just not want to die alone?"

Terrafutan

Alamo Rookie
I've only volunteered, never actually let people into my game... (1) I don't need any help. Been playing solo with zero followers since launch, and have never run into any situation I couldn't handle alone. "
Might just be me, but I don't think that's the point of friends co-op.

I often join mates just to talk shit and watch their back at the same time. Pick up an extra car for double loot and in the end you're helping anyway.

Another follow up...

I've been encountering a lot more modders lately. This particular cliché typically has no mic, and drop into games immediately spewing infinite items like a nomadic piñata... brandishing some variation of OP broke-ass .50 recoilless rifles with 100rd magazine that can 1-shot any enemy in the game... why? Is there actually any sense of fulfillment in breaking the balance to that degree— beyond simple shitz & giggles? Does age factor in?

Vursuli

Alamo Rookie
Another follow up...

I've been encountering a lot more modders lately. This particular cliché typically has no mic, and drop into games immediately spewing infinite items like a nomadic piñata... brandishing some variation of OP broke-ass .50 recoilless rifles with 100rd magazine that can 1-shot any enemy in the game... why? Is there actually any sense of fulfillment in breaking the balance to that degree— beyond simple shitz & giggles? Does age factor in?
I think people play games for different reasons. Some for immersion, for some people "playing" is creating outside of the bounds. Maybe it is a generation thing. Maybe it's just a capabilities thing.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
I've only volunteered, never actually let people into my game... (1) I don't need any help. Been playing solo with zero followers since launch, and have never run into any situation I couldn't handle alone. (2) the most common games I've volunteered for have been new players that genuinely appreciated the help. Second most common, were idiots that shot a flare halfway thru not destroying a plague heart.

Nothing more "ffffffuuuuuuuuu..." than dropping into a game with horrific lag, surrounded by red-zeds, enduring all the desync'd cheap shots, only to find the player slowly melee attacking the plague heart with no stamina.

"Sooooo.... did you need actual help, or did you just not want to die alone?"
I've had this happen a couple of times....the first time was funny as hell :) Host was swinging away at a heart so I set them both on fire then started throwing pipe bombs. He lived and said "how did you get bombs?" without a mic the only thing I could think of was mark his base then go to his workshop and point at it. It took a minute but he got it and sent me a friend invite.....I've help him do the builder and warlord legacies.

But I always load out for hearts before I enter someone game and since some of my survivors are at 8 or 9x on play throughs I'll drop from a lag ridden game in a heartbeat :ROFLMAO:

I've had this happen a couple of times....the first time was funny as hell :) Host was swinging away at a heart so I set them both on fire then started throwing pipe bombs. He lived and said "how did you get bombs?" without a mic the only thing I could think of was mark his base then go to his workshop and point at it. It took a minute but he got it and sent me a friend invite.....I've help him do the builder and warlord legacies.

But I always load out for hearts before I enter someone game and since some of my survivors are at 8 or 9x on play throughs I'll drop from a lag ridden game in a heartbeat :ROFLMAO:
It's great you're willing to be so helpful but this person didn't even know how to make pipe bombs? SoD2 does have some issues with proper tutorialization of the player despite throwing up dozens of prompts.

5 minutes into co-op game 1... ERROR (CODE 3)
3 minutes into co-op game 2... ERROR (CODE 3)
30 seconds into co-op game 3... KICKED BY HOST (hey host, if you don't want help, maybe you should stop asking for help)
15 minutes into co-op game 4... ERROR (CODE 3)
2 minutes into co-op game 5... ERROR (CODE 3)

Tacked on.... definitely tacked on.