Can’t join multiplayer

Fascinate

Missing Survivor
SITUATION:
PC version, my two friends and I can play offline but not multiplayer.
“session failed” bottom right hand corner when we start up the game.
Might be related to the attached photo, Xbox app won’t connect to the server.

Three different computers, we can play other games fine.
Troubleshooting:
1. Tried uninstalling our norton, AVG antivirus.
2. Tried turning off Windows defender.
3. Tried various methods from YouTube and google (Cmd prompts, resetting time/ date, doable hamachi network adaptors, and more).

None have worked, however I hit a wall with one method where I cannot install Teredo from legacy hardware because it’s not there.

Tried looking at twitter and found my way here. Posting to see if there are other methods and workarounds.

Thanks.

Attachments

SITUATION:
PC version, my two friends and I can play offline but not multiplayer.
“session failed” bottom right hand corner when we start up the game.
Might be related to the attached photo, Xbox app won’t connect to the server.

Three different computers, we can play other games fine.
Troubleshooting:
1. Tried uninstalling our norton, AVG antivirus.
2. Tried turning off Windows defender.
3. Tried various methods from YouTube and google (Cmd prompts, resetting time/ date, doable hamachi network adaptors, and more).

None have worked, however I hit a wall with one method where I cannot install Teredo from legacy hardware because it’s not there.

Tried looking at twitter and found my way here. Posting to see if there are other methods and workarounds.

Thanks.
This is a fairly common issue, the consensus from what I've seen in other posts is it's an incompatibility between microsoft's network and certain ISPs. As of yet it doesn't seem like anybody has been able to figure out what causes it and microsoft is not saying anything on the subject. Talking to a support tech will just get you "it's your ISP, try talking to them" with no other info.

Basically you're SOL until MS gets their shit together, unless your ISP can pull off some magic fix on their end.

Fascinate

Missing Survivor
This is a fairly common issue, the consensus from what I've seen in other posts is it's an incompatibility between microsoft's network and certain ISPs. As of yet it doesn't seem like anybody has been able to figure out what causes it and microsoft is not saying anything on the subject. Talking to a support tech will just get you "it's your ISP, try talking to them" with no other info.

Basically you're SOL until MS gets their shit together, unless your ISP can pull off some magic fix on their end.
Thank you, I thought this was the case , but when I researched the methods , this issue seemed to date way back atleast 2015 for other games. Made me worry. I guess it’s just a waiting game.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I've got the "Blocked" on my end too but it has still let me into games before. It may just be the NAT differences.

Also, if you're in Europe, there was multiplayer server issues that were only resolved late last night for it.

Fascinate

Missing Survivor
I've got the "Blocked" on my end too but it has still let me into games before. It may just be the NAT differences.

Also, if you're in Europe, there was multiplayer server issues that were only resolved late last night for it.

Oh this is definitely a revelation. So having it "blocked" still allows ppl to play multiplayer. thank you for sharing! With this, I will completely stop troubleshooting. I did try to see if Microsoft store would give me a refund, I can't even connect to their support team despite being the 2nd person in line for this on-line chat support.

Thank you, I thought this was the case , but when I researched the methods , this issue seemed to date way back atleast 2015 for other games. Made me worry. I guess it’s just a waiting game.
Yeah, it's been an issue for a very long time. The problem seems to be that they didn't take different ISP protocols into account and didn't take differing PC hardware configurations into account. Their network is designed around the xbox/xbone which is basically a dumbed down PC that can only run games, all using the exact same hardware/software setups. It seems like more people have issues with MS network than with just about any other service.....which is pretty fucked up if you think about it since they don't actually host any game servers themselves.

BobCrees

Alamo Family
I have yet to attempt to play a Co-Op game with anyone (I am a PC User). Though from what I am reading, I should be able to play with a XBox user, but another PC user will be hit or miss?

.which is pretty fucked up if you think about it since they don't actually host any game servers themselves
So say for the likes of MS's other major game release of 2018 - Sea of Thieves - which I presume runs off servers, the company that made that game has to provide and maintain the servers?

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
So as I understand it, for PC and Xbox, your multiplayer options are limited by the NAT type shown in the Connection settings.

For PC:
  1. Open Xbox App
  2. Click on Settings
  3. Click over to Connections
  4. Look at NAT type
    1. Open - You can connect to anyone's game
    2. Moderate - You can connect to someone's game but features may be limited
    3. Strict - You can only connect to Open NAT people
For Xbox, I think you follow Steps 2-4 in the Xbox Settings equivalent.

For instance...my NAT type is set to and stuck on Strict and for quite a few others, it seems to be set that way as well so I can't connect to hardly anyone here. -.-

Edit: I've gone through port forwarding, UPnP and the DMZ thing (enabling one, disabling the others) with no differences made. I lay the blame fully on Microsoft for being terrible at networking.

Last edited:
So say for the likes of MS's other major game release of 2018 - Sea of Thieves - which I presume runs off servers, the company that made that game has to provide and maintain the servers?
Yeah, pretty much.

For instance...my NAT type is set to and stuck on Strict and for quite a few others, it seems to be set that way as well so I can't connect to hardly anyone here. -.-

Edit: I've gone through port forwarding, UPnP and the DMZ thing (enabling one, disabling the others) with no differences made. I lay the blame fully on Microsoft for being terrible at networking.
I had the same exact issue before my xbox app stopped working period. Tried every single workaround I could find on the MS site, and the support tech that tried to fix it ended up breaking the app completely so it doesn't even load now.

So as I understand it, for PC and Xbox, your multiplayer options are limited by the NAT type shown in the Connection settings.

For PC:
  1. Open Xbox App
  2. Click on Settings
  4. Look at NAT type

My server connectivity : blocked...
Guess another Fuck you to you from being in China.

Thanks Microsoft.

Terrafutan

Alamo Rookie

For PC:
  1. Open Xbox App
  2. Click on Settings
  4. Look at NAT type
On Xbox, if you retest/recheck the NAT connection, it will attempt to change to fully open. Might need a few retries, but it takes me about 3 or 4 to move it from Moderate to Open. Once it's open, I start the game up.

WayneGSG

Missing Survivor
This is such a random issue I am not certain how it will ever get fixed. My wife and I both have PC accounts, her account coop play works fine, but on my PC I can occasionally connect to her PC but the connection is very sporadic and she is the only person I can connect to. If we invite someone else to the group, my PC crashes. Possibly I am allowed to connect to her PC because we are on the same network but I am unable to connect to coop outside of my house. So my issue is not my ISP, router, modem or what ever excuse they can blame on my end, it is a MS (windows 10) problem. Hopefully when this releases on Steam (?) I can purchase the game from them and it will work. MS store, xbox app, play anywhere, all crap for PC gamers.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
This is such a random issue I am not certain how it will ever get fixed. My wife and I both have PC accounts, her account coop play works fine, but on my PC I can occasionally connect to her PC but the connection is very sporadic and she is the only person I can connect to. If we invite someone else to the group, my PC crashes. Possibly I am allowed to connect to her PC because we are on the same network but I am unable to connect to coop outside of my house. So my issue is not my ISP, router, modem or what ever excuse they can blame on my end, it is a MS (windows 10) problem. Hopefully when this releases on Steam (?) I can purchase the game from them and it will work. MS store, xbox app, play anywhere, all crap for PC gamers.
Time wise the one person closet to my play time of SoD Vanilla, Breakdown and Lifeline.

Enable all the windows 10 protection things. Then close all apps etc. except Xbox app (also update this sucker and any other xbox app that is needed) and SoD2 with all other apps closed you should be able to make outside connections

I had the same issues. No connection or crashing.

Just fixed it manually.

WayneGSG

Missing Survivor
I have an update on my issue. There is a known issue by Microsoft with high end gaming computers (those with overclocked devices) not being able to accept the 1803 Windows update. Now I have been told by Alienware support that it is possible to force the 1803 update but it is not recommended and that the fix from MS is promised to be released in the near future (previous promise was end of May.) Well instead of tinkering with my new computer, I dusted off my old gaming rig, installed Windows 10 with the 1803 update and now all of the multiplayer options function for me now. I have not seen the Windows 1803 update mentioned in any FAQ or troubleshooting guide so far and that is why I wanted to pass that along here. I have updated to 1803 on two computers now and all of my problems with the Windows 10 Xbox app have been resolved. I hope this helps someone else out there having issues on PC.