Bring back that loving feeling..

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
It’s not so much that SOD2 is a terrible game just that, IMO, it isn’t a State of Decay game. Playing it feels more akin to Dead Rising or some other generic zombie game.
I'm trying hard to love the game but I think they dropped the ball by not giving it a story.

Should have came out with story mode and a survivor mode ( game never ends but get harder with the passing days or when you change maps )
Story mode would continue from the OG story leading us into the new zeds and plague hearts.
Both of you summarized pretty well what I think is missing from the game. Alongside a proper Breakdown and Geoff stating in a stream 2-ish months ago that "Breakdown" is there now as you can keep changing maps to play forever...is a poor compromise of an answer.

State of Decay 2 came out what...the 18th of May and from my Discord notes...I stopped playing about May 31st as well, uninstalled it entirely by June 28th and reinstalled State of Decay YOSE.

My list of desires:
  1. Story in the main game: Bring back the scenes, you can even maintain that uncontrollable live action, characters locked while they talked stuff
  2. Breakdown mode: Separate from the main game; in fact, just take the current main game, clone it and add 1.2x zombies every 3rd day
  3. Scorecards at the end of games: I loved showing off how good/bad I did in a Breakdown game. I don't need a leaderboard, never cared for it, but those scorecards were amazing screenshots to share
  4. Ending cutscene displays properly: I don't want to see a dozen random survivors at the end when I killed or exiled every survivor an hour before completing the last mission

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
I stopped playing about May 31st as well, uninstalled it entirely by June 28th and reinstalled State of Decay YOSE.
I've considered this too but the thought of playing through Trumball valley again... It's a superior game but the map is soo boring now. Another thing is the only genuine advantage SOD2 has over SOD1 (for me), SOD1 really doesn't like 21:9 aspect ratios and every time I start the game I'd have to muck around getting it to work correctly and still have the minimap 3x larger than it should be.

My list of desires:
My only desire is that they make modding a thing with UE4. Let the devs do whatever the hell they have been doing and allow the community to fix the game. It would do a great deal to distinguish the game too having a proper modding scene. Right now the Discord modding channel has 126% more members than ULs official channel... (11055 vs 4889 unless I did math wrong)

True Savage

Rescued Ally
I'm trying hard to love the game but I think they dropped the ball by not giving it a story.

Should have came out with story mode and a survivor mode ( game never ends but get harder with the passing days or when you change maps )
Story mode would continue from the OG story leading us into the new zeds and plague hearts.
they made a poll at the old undeadlabs forums and they asked what the community wanted to see and not that many people asked for a continuation but more worried about features like multiplayer.

My only desire is that they make modding a thing with UE4. Let the devs do whatever the hell they have been doing and allow the community to fix the game. It would do a great deal to distinguish the game too having a proper modding scene. Right now the Discord modding channel has 126% more members than ULs official channel... (11055 vs 4889 unless I did math wrong)
Modding would be awesome, but good luck with having it supported in any way now that microshaft is 100% in charge.

Kizig

Rescued Ally
I played SoD2 pretty much exclusively up until about a month ago. I went back to playing The Long Dark as the game has had a big (free) update since the last time I played, introducing new gameplay mechanics, etc. Then a couple of days ago, Hand of Fate 2 had a major (free) update, bringing a lot of extra content and a whole new game mode, so now I'm splitting my time between the two. Hope UL brings me back to SoD2 sometime soon...
Same here with going back to The Long Dark. Honestly, it's a bad sign that I'm having WAY more fun with the new cooking mechanics there ("A pot? Yay! I can boil water lots faster now, this is AWESOME! Or should I use it for the venison first, hmmm...") than with any of the SOD2 play.

To be clear, I'm not exaggerating for effect: decisions about what to put on the stove when, and the weight/convenience balance of a cooking pot, feel more impactful and interesting than running around in SOD2 where it seems nothing I do will matter much one way or the other. Enclaves will bitch, zeds will wander into the base, resources will be wasted, but everything will be fine anyway and barring extraordinary circumstances nobody will ever die.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
they made a poll at the old undeadlabs forums and they asked what the community wanted to see and not that many people asked for a continuation but more worried about features like multiplayer.
True but look how that turned out :) A nice story like say it's one month after blowing the wall, our group from the valley have set up base in the hills map somewhere..... Red Talon in Valley.......and Sassy the army( suriviors of Danforth) would be in Drucker. All their bases would take up a base on the map and have at least 6 people in them.

You start in the hills (with Lily and the Network) and about day 2 or 3 get a mission to save someone and then would meet them. For doing missions for them after the allied level you unlock some sweet weapons or mods. Lily and the Network would teach you about the blood plague and hearts. You could come chill with her and the gang......or if your leader was a warlord.....you could attack their base and take it (one of the perks of playing as a warlord ;))

With each map you get closer to the capital and the truth....when you make it to Drucker county at about day 8 you get mission to repair a plane
and escape to the capital....just a base outline but I think it would have made for a great game....each map telling a different story of how these groups have and are surviving.

True but look how that turned out :) A nice story like say it's one month after blowing the wall, our group from the valley have set up base in the hills map somewhere..... Red Talon in Valley.......and Sassy the army( suriviors of Danforth) would be in Drucker. All their bases would take up a base on the map and have at least 6 people in them.

You start in the hills (with Lily and the Network) and about day 2 or 3 get a mission to save someone and then would meet them. For doing missions for them after the allied level you unlock some sweet weapons or mods. Lily and the Network would teach you about the blood plague and hearts. You could come chill with her and the gang......or if your leader was a warlord.....you could attack their base and take it (one of the perks of playing as a warlord ;))

With each map you get closer to the capital and the truth....when you make it to Drucker county at about day 8 you get mission to repair a plane
and escape to the capital....just a base outline but I think it would have made for a great game....each map telling a different story of how these groups have and are surviving.
Man!!! Now this would have been EPIC!!!

"I don't want to see a dozen random survivors at the end when I killed or exiled every survivor an hour before completing the last mission."

Are you fucking KIDDING me! Please . . . PLEASE! . . . don't tell me that UL used a generic, across-the-board animation for its ending.

Please tell me that it's YOUR OWN UNIQUE SURVIVOR COMMUNITY who're depicted in the frame as the Leader delivers his/her farewell speech.

Oh, please don't tell me UL's slumming extended THIS far!

A nice story like say it's one month after blowing the wall, our group from the valley have set up base in the hills map somewhere
We were never going to get a direct continuation due to the looseness of the first game's story and how only Lily could be guaranteed to survive. SoD didn't have the systems in place for saves transferring from one game to another. A framework for a story does exist in SoD2 though and it's actually a serviceable one.

Have the player assume the role of a newly arrived group of characters (no more than three) to an area contested by Red Talon and The Network. The game would start out similar to its current iteration: grab a home base, do some scouting and scavenging, etc. While this is going on the radio plays occasional messages from the two groups indicating to the player their general outlooks, ideologies and goals.

Eventually, both factions will start to contact the player to do missions with them. At first the player will be able to work peaceably with both parties. This allows the player to meet and interact with both of them and get a feel for which side they may prefer. At some point it becomes necessary to side with one group against the other and which group you choose changes end game goals and narratives.

This is all rather basic of course, but hopefully you can see how this could've been easily slotted into the game as it is with little changes.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
"I don't want to see a dozen random survivors at the end when I killed or exiled every survivor an hour before completing the last mission."

Are you fucking KIDDING me! Please . . . PLEASE! . . . don't tell me that UL used a generic, across-the-board animation for its ending.

Please tell me that it's YOUR OWN UNIQUE SURVIVOR COMMUNITY who're depicted in the frame as the Leader delivers his/her farewell speech.

Oh, please don't tell me UL's slumming extended THIS far!
Nope, the survivors I see at the end are definitely from my community but they are the survivors that were available and in my community when I hit the max limit or sometime before the last legacy mission. Because I started the last legacy mission after kicking everyone out of the community.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . .

UL will come to rue the fateful day they decided that slobbing on the collective Knob of the mainsream was the way to go. SoD 2 is not the type of interactive experience that can sustain momentum, not after the initial novelty of it wears thin . . . and then off. And once the slew of incoming AAA games arrives . . . fuhgeddaboudit!

And then what? Who, then, is left to snatch SoD 2 from the jaws of obscurity, keeping it healthy and warm in the long years leading up to SoD 3? The mainstream? Yeah, okay. (A quantum-regressed 30-year-old Linda Carter will sooner show up at my door in her skimpy Wonder Woman outfit and ask to take my rectal temperature!)

Nope. It'll be us. Only us. (You know, the same froth-mouthed troglodytes from the "Boy's Club" [aka The Loyal Niche] who kept the State of Decay Treehouse trimmed, watered, shellaced, and well-maintenanced for five years . . . sharing ideas, interacting with the UL team, participating in contests, creating neat role-playing scenarios, swapping anecdotes about our unique SoD 1 experiences, other fun stuff.)

Or maybe not.

Maybe UL rammed that razor-studded dildo a little too deep into our loyal asses; maybe it's too late to forget that they chainsawed our Treehouse down while we were in it (and then looked us square in the eyes and said innocently, "What chainsaw? There's no chainsaw here"); maybe it's too late to forget that, upon SoD 2's release, all direct communication (between UL and us) was killed quicker than Josey Wales drew his famous pistols; maybe it's too late to forget about that condescending twit of a "community relations" manager, who couldn't resist (publicly) insulting the "Old-Boy" playerbase, which in reality was (is) a diverse group of fair-minded, intelligent people of both sexes that she knew absolutely NOTHING about; and maybe . . . just maybe . . . it's too late to forget (and possibly even to forgive) that the individual who created and ran UL from the beginning has all but abandoned us -- two times! First, by casually tossing aside many game-play elements that made SoD unique; and second, by failing to personally address even a SINGLE complaint from the people who helped put his "dream" game on the map.

Maybe . . .