Bring back that loving feeling..

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
I’ve never had a loving feeling playing State of Decay??
But yeah the game feels wrong, for me it’s the difficulty and survivor cap. IMO a lot of the additions they made are counteracted by those points: I never really have to deal with survivors with bad traits or capped skills if I’m just going to exile them in order to have the best 9 survivors; the difficulty speaks for itself and renders the blood plague and freaks inert.

I’ve never had a loving feeling playing State of Decay??
But yeah the game feels wrong, for me it’s the difficulty and survivor cap. IMO a lot of the additions they made are counteracted by those points: I never really have to deal with survivors with bad traits or capped skills if I’m just going to exile them in order to have the best 9 survivors; the difficulty speaks for itself and renders the blood plague and freaks inert.
No wonder I am catching up to you in the score boards...

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
No wonder I am catching up to you in the score boards...
Rant warning.

Yeah I haven’t played for about a month. Like many others I really wanted to love the game but I just can’t, practically everything I loved in the original game is badly executed in this one.
I don’t really want to criticise UL’s ability as designers, because it isn’t easy, but I seriously don’t know wtf went wrong with them to have SOD2 turn out the way it did. It’s not so much that SOD2 is a terrible game just that, IMO, it isn’t a State of Decay game. Playing it feels more akin to Dead Rising or some other generic zombie game. The whole thing reminds me of Total War Rome 2, there’s more content, more variety, bigger map/s but somehow the soul of the franchise is missing.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
I'm trying hard to love the game but I think they dropped the ball by not giving it a story.

Should have came out with story mode and a survivor mode ( game never ends but get harder with the passing days or when you change maps )
Story mode would continue from the OG story leading us into the new zeds and plague hearts.

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
After hearing about Hello Games' next big update for No Man's Sky, I'm holding out hope that Undead Labs will do a similar comeback for State of Decay 2. It should be even easier for Undead Labs to right the ship as they not only have a bigger team and still have some good will from the first game, they don't have to overcome the lies and false promises of Sean Murray.

If Hello Games can promise this

Then fall way short of those lofty goals, but continue updating (for free) until we wind up with this

Then maybe there's hope still for State of Decay 2...provided UL does what Hello Games did and actually listen to it's fans.

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
Then fall way short of those lofty goals, but continue updating (for free) until we wind up with this
Don’t know that we can call paying full price for something and then having it delivered a year later “free updates”. It’s like UPS shipping my parcel to Japan and when they finally get it to me in the UK saying I got free postage.. :ROFLMAO:

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
Don’t know that we can call paying full price for something and then having it delivered a year later “free updates”. It’s like UPS shipping my parcel to Japan and when they finally get it to me in the UK saying I got free postage.. :ROFLMAO:
Fair enough, but I'm trying to cut them some slack and look at it in a positive manner. They messed up, no doubt, but they took their lumps and quietly (read, "put a muzzle on Sean Murray") worked to clean their mess up with big updates, and not by, say, releasing a Year One edition for full price and discontinuing support for the original game instead. :censored: Plus, as we all know, there are some developers, who shall remain nameless, that would have said to hell with the gamers, then just took the money and ran. Maybe to climb Mt. Everest, for instance...:rolleyes:

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
Fair enough, but I'm trying to cut them some slack and look at it in a positive manner. They messed up, no doubt, but they took their lumps and quietly (read, "put a muzzle on Sean Murray") worked to clean their mess up with big updates, and not by, say, releasing a Year One edition for full price and discontinuing support for the original game instead. :censored: Plus, as we all know, there are some developers, who shall remain nameless, that would have said to hell with the gamers, then just took the money and ran. Maybe to climb Mt. Everest, for instance...:rolleyes:
I agree mate it’s good that Hello Games have sorted it out especially considering the immense storm of shit thrown their way. I don’t believe their motivations were entirely benevolent but they still deserve kudos for seeing it through. I did say as much in a larger initial reply that I scrapped because it came across as aggressive.
There are so many dodgy developers it baffles me how they get away with it. I can’t think of any other industry where it’s acceptable to take a product to market and not be subject to quality regulations.

My point was just that fixes and adding planned content aren’t, IMO, free updates. They’re patches or updates in accordance with the continued development of the game. Free updates, again IMO, are additional content that is outside the original purview for the finished product. For example Terraria 1.1 & 1.3, Skyrim 1.6 & 2, the Prision Architect updates after they finished the game.
I’m not sure if there is an industry standard on what free updates are defined as (as we can’t even really agree on what an RPG is definitively) but I argue for my definition to be the standard because I’m always right :cool: (never right)

Fabian907

Alamo Rookie
Just witnessed a teammate killing a hostage on Siege, anyways. So State of Decay 2, I was gonna pull an all nighter but the game was boring on the first few hours, wasn't story driven like SoD1, at least that game had some story to it.
This game needs a story driven narrative of your choices and or continue the story of the church folks..

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
I agree mate it’s good that Hello Games have sorted it out especially considering the immense storm of shit thrown their way. I don’t believe their motivations were entirely benevolent but they still deserve kudos for seeing it through. I did say as much in a larger initial reply that I scrapped because it came across as aggressive.
There are so many dodgy developers it baffles me how they get away with it. I can’t think of any other industry where it’s acceptable to take a product to market and not be subject to quality regulations.

My point was just that fixes and adding planned content aren’t, IMO, free updates. They’re patches or updates in accordance with the continued development of the game. Free updates, again IMO, are additional content that is outside the original purview for the finished product. For example Terraria 1.1 & 1.3, Skyrim 1.6 & 2, the Prision Architect updates after they finished the game.
I’m not sure if there is an industry standard on what free updates are defined as (as we can’t even really agree on what an RPG is definitively) but I argue for my definition to be the standard because I’m always right :cool: (never right)
Agreed, sticking with the game wasn't so much out of the goodness of Hello Games' collective hearts, at least not completely, but more of a majorly deserved mea culpa that they needed to make if they had any hopes whatsoever of ever selling another title in the future. I just figure as quick as I am to throw shade when a developer screws the pooch, I should also give credit where it's due. And to be fair, their updates do meet your definition, as base building, land vehicles, being able to own and pilot huge capital sized ships, third person view with customization, ect. weren't part of the game's original plan, but rather came about because people asked for those things to be added. (I like to think I brought about the third person view, God only knows how badly I wanted that one)

Now if only Undead Labs could try this novel concept of giving fans what they want...:whistle:

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
Now if only Undead Labs could try this novel concept of giving fans what they want...:whistle:
They gave us the most requested feature from the original game, multiplayer, and that was practically broken on release (I assume it's better now?) People wanted more DLC for the OG so their first SOD2 DLC had zombies in costumes and fireworks. Maybe we should be wary of Undead Labs listening to us o_O

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
They gave us the most requested feature from the original game, multiplayer, and that was practically broken on release (I assume it's better now?) People wanted more DLC for the OG so their first SOD2 DLC had zombies in costumes and fireworks. Maybe we should be wary of Undead Labs listening to us o_O
Ha! Undead Labs is the Monkey's Paw of developers...be careful what you wish for, UL will find a way to make you regret it! :p

Makes me wonder how they could screw up my wish for less bad Fate Cards frequency?

Kizig

Rescued Ally
Ha! Undead Labs is the Monkey's Paw of developers...be careful what you wish for, UL will find a way to make you regret it! :p

Makes me wonder how they could screw up my wish for less bad Fate Cards frequency?
CLEO starts up again, randomly adding resources to your base rather than destroying them. Unfortunately, the drop capsules land on your survivors.

Instead of fate carts you get fart cards that spawn Bloaters inside your base, and fat cards that spawn Juggs inside your base. Merry Christmas in July!

Zechs

Rescued Ally
Bring back the loving feeling? You mean not the metaphorical sub par fondling brought on by Microsoft "wasn't" loving?

In all seriousness, the situation, the boss are all constitute to the lack of love we felt in the original. It was more UL for the original. Now it's more Microsoft, courtesy of Halo and Gears of War. Purchasing the I.P. and hiring a whole new team to whore them out. I didn't want to see SoD follow this path. And I hope the DLC (unfortunately it has to be via dlc) can kind of rectify that... But we will see.