Backpacks and Carrying Capacity

Beakie

Rescued Ally
What's the largest pack in the game? How many slots? What's the most Inventory slots one character can have using Backpack + Skills + Perks?

And, same question for vehicles?

The largest pack in the game contains eight slots. However, the backpacks themselves varying in weight and it's possible to have a seven slot pack weigh more than an eight slot. I'm not confident enough in my game knowledge to give an answer vis-à-vis skills and perks. However, as for vehicles: the van/ambulance has the most slots in the base game. I'm not sure if DLC vehicles are better as I've not bothered with them.

Pipe Bomber

Missing Survivor
A character with backpacking and resourcefulness gets 2 extra pocket slots, or 12 slots overall - with a large backpack equipped. They can stack consumable items 6 deep and have greatly increased light encumbrance limit. I don’t think you can get more carrying capacity than that.

I have a char with this setup who has ‘exuberant’ trait giving +50 stamina and -30 fatigue rate. She’s like a Para, she can carry 24 pipe bombs in her pants alone.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
A character with backpacking and resourcefulness gets 2 extra pocket slots, or 12 slots overall - with a large backpack equipped. They can stack consumable items 6 deep and have greatly increased light encumbrance limit. I don’t think you can get more carrying capacity than that.

I have a char with this setup who has ‘exuberant’ trait giving +50 stamina and -30 fatigue rate. She’s like a Para, she can carry 24 pipe bombs in her pants alone.
If they have the Sewing skill, that adds an extra +2 Max Consumable Stack, and the "Keeps Hidden Pouches" trait adds 10 Light Carry Capacity, 10 Max Carry Capacity, and 1 Max Consumable Stack.

So, it is possible (but extremely unlikely) to have 12 slots, where consumables can stack to 9.

There are some other traits that can increase carrying weight. "Broad Shouldered" add 15 Max Capacity, "Smuggler" adds 10 Light Carry Capacity and 10 Max Carry Capacity, "Does Tons of Squats" adds 10 Max Carry Capacity, "Expert Traveller" adds 10 Light Carry Capacity, "Good Posture" adds 5 Max Carry Capacity, "Organised" adds 5 Light Carry Capacity.

Having other characters with specific hero traits can also help. "Backrubs" gives +5 Max Carrying Capacity, "Pack Maintenance" gives +10 Max Carrying Capacity, and "Pre-Packed Gear" gives +5 Light Carrying Capacity.

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
Hmm, than perhaps I've simply not found one. It took me four communities before I ran into a Norma after all.
It is really strange how the vehicles spawn. I too have only just found a Norma after like... What 50 hours of game time. My first game on drucker county only had jeeps. My last playthrough on drucker I've yet to see a jeep.

Also 8 stack backpacks that aren't hiking packs weigh 12 pounds.

Hmm, than perhaps I've simply not found one. It took me four communities before I ran into a Norma after all.
Vehicle spawning is weird. I've had a total of one Norma and that was a mission spawn. The only hatchbacks I've seen are the Rapscallion and Survey, I mostly see vans, pickups, and the various muscle cars. Only time I ever see a cop car is mission spawns, usually action hero since I get that literally every map.

Shinzou

Missing Survivor
Just to give a complete summary of all of the above.

Backpacks:

Large 12 pounds, 8 slots; Hiking 8 pounds, 8 slots.

Skills:

Resourcefulness (from Wits), gives you an immediate extra slot in your pants (tm), also allows you to carry more use-ables in each slot (+2 i believe initially, and +3 at max)

Backpacking (from Strength), initially only gives you extra stamina and weight allowance, but once you get full stars you get an extra carry slot.

Perks, Traits:

Sewing, allows for more use-ables in each slot (never had one myself, or rather kept one in my community, so i am going by what QMJS above said)

Keeps Hidden Pouches, allows +1 on use-ables stack among the other benefits QMJS mentions.

I actually never pay attention to weight limits, as i feel they are completely meaningless (unless you run into a horde of Plagues with some Ferals in tow, and no Stamina or Health consumables). I mean i ran around with people carrying 8 25 pounds+ mods and a resource backpack and all it did was slow me down a little and use up stamina a LITTLE faster.

I tend to level Backpacking and Resourcefulness for my scavengers, and stealth and maybe acrobatics for my close in fighters. But tend to lean to the former for all...

EDIT:
Forgot the cars:

(any) Van/Ambulance (but better yet convert them into the Vandito) 8 Slots
Brogan Trekker 8 slots (don't convert that one as you will lose two slots in the "upgrade") other Brogans are safe to convert though

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
If they have the Sewing skill, that adds an extra +2 Max Consumable Stack, and the "Keeps Hidden Pouches" trait adds 10 Light Carry Capacity, 10 Max Carry Capacity, and 1 Max Consumable Stack.

So, it is possible (but extremely unlikely) to have 12 slots, where consumables can stack to 9.

There are some other traits that can increase carrying weight. "Broad Shouldered" add 15 Max Capacity, "Smuggler" adds 10 Light Carry Capacity and 10 Max Carry Capacity, "Does Tons of Squats" adds 10 Max Carry Capacity, "Expert Traveller" adds 10 Light Carry Capacity, "Good Posture" adds 5 Max Carry Capacity, "Organised" adds 5 Light Carry Capacity.

Having other characters with specific hero traits can also help. "Backrubs" gives +5 Max Carrying Capacity, "Pack Maintenance" gives +10 Max Carrying Capacity, and "Pre-Packed Gear" gives +5 Light Carrying Capacity.
The Daybreak Red Talon characters can have a hero bonus of Compact Ordinance, which adds +1 consumable stack size. Theroetically this brings the limit up to 12 slots, where consumables can stack to 10.