Are you crashing on PC?

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
If you're crashing before the game starts or while you are playing, please post below.

Answer these questions, yes or no.
  1. Are your drivers both up to date and WHQL signed?
  2. Have you added SoD to your Anti-virus and Firewall Exception List?
  3. Is your Power Supply and Cooling System working properly? Use GPU-z or CPU-z to check for overheating.
  4. Are you running Mods? Are they all up to date? (ie – do they work with State of Decay without making it crash.)
  5. Are you running Mods? (Ex: Nexus Mods) If so, have you removed it or disabled it?
  6. Are you running X-fire? It's also been known to make SoD crash. If so, have you removed it or disabled it?
  7. Have you tried this - Try this: go to steam library, right click on State of Decay, choose "properties". In the first tab go to "starting options" and put here: -resx=1280 -resy=720 -fullscreen
    • Also put your monitor resolution to 1280x720.
    • When in game, put your correct resolution.
  8. Are you using SweetFX? If so, 8.1 doesn't work with Windows 8.
  9. Are you using Gigabyte OC Guru II on-screen display? If so, this has been known to crash your system upon running SoD. After disabling, are you still crashing?
  10. Is your GPU Overclocked? If so, please roll it back to a regular state. SoD has issues with Overclocked cards. It stresses the system and causes crashes.
  11. Have you updated to VCredist 2012? Go to this location on your PC and run vcredist again. It should update to 2012 rather than 2010 \Steamapps\common\State of Decay\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe

If you've answered yes to all of these questions and you are still crashing, please post below with the following information:
  1. Steam User ID – include the link
  2. A detailed description of what you were doing when you crashed
  3. A link to any thread you've posted regarding your crash

Last edited:

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Just a little note: #5 - Nexus is the name of the site. Nexus Mod Manager, (or NMM) is self-explanatory.
I don't know of anyone who uses it for SoD? Even though someone set it up to work with it. I guess there might be some people.

WillieSea

Alamo Rookie
Do you experience teleporting zombies through doors and objects, Big Un's teleporting inside houses, flames that when you turn your back, the zombies can walk through them?

Your not alone, but it is not 'everybody' who experiences these phenomenon. Below, I will try to explain why these things might happen in your game. And remember, the game uses a generic game engine.

So, as I said, not everybody experiences these problems. First, lets take a Logical look at the issue.

If you use logic, how would you explain a 'bug' that not everyone sees?
1. Is it the software? How can it be? Because if it was, then wouldn't every single player see the same bugs?
2. Is it the game engine? It could be, but then again, wouldn't every single person who plays the game see the same bugs?

There is only one thing left for the bug to be. And Logic says that is something on your side, not the games side. And that leaves your hardware or drivers.

I know, I know, everyone's hardware is the best and you can play that big AAAA game on the highest settings. But those big companies are not using a generic engine to run their game, they have proprietary game engines they made and optimized for that single game specifically. So of course you can run that AAAA game that is better and 'more demanding' that SoD. But because SoD is limited to the Generic game engine, its going to have a lot of less optimized code in the engine that is less specific to SoD gameplay.

So, what proof do I have that it could possibly be the computer hardware, drivers, or software running on the computer that is causing the issues?

The only proof I can give is through player experiences with the game and base that off the computer specifications they play the game on. It seems most people have issues where they have slower CPU's where those that report higher specs say they don't see the bugs at all, or hardly ever.

I run the game on these specs and I have no issues at all with teleports or other reported problems. I have a combined playtime of over 1000 hours for SoD and YOSE, so I do have a lot of game play under my belt.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz (8 virtual cores) <== This is the important part of your computer for how well SoD will play.
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB RAM
MSI Radeon R9 380 GAMING 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Graphics card
CORSAIR RM1000X 1000W power supply <== Important to ensure your great graphics card has enough power to run at full capacity.

1. I do not run video capture software and I keep background programs to a minimum.
2. I built my own computer and installed the operating system myself, so there is no Manufacturer added bloatware or adware running that is taking up resources.

Now your asking, so what does that have to do with the game and the bugs you are seeing?

I suspect the bugs come from the CPU not being able to keep up with the collision of moving zombies, especially when there are a LOT of moving zombies, and thus you have 'teleporting' of the zombies through collision zones such as doors and other objects.

So what does that mean?!!

The zombie is a moving object, and the game engine must keep track of it at all times, each and every one of them. And in YOSE, the number of zombies was increased from SoD, so even faster computers may have an issue with YOSE where they will not for SoD. Each zombie has a movement speed, that is set, but if the CPU cannot keep up with that movement and the collision objects in the game for all the zombies, so then the zombie can 'wiggle' inside a collision zone a little bit. The game engine then comes back to that zombie and says, hey wait a minute, this zombie cannot be inside this collision zone, so it teleports it outside of the collision zone, in the direction the zombie was moving. There is your teleport explained in a non-technical nutshell.

This is seen a lot on doors because normally, the 'pathing' a zombie takes says this is a valid path through the door, but the collision of the door keeps it out. But, wiggle inside that door collision just a little, which is a small collision zone anyway, and if your CPU cannot detect and keep it out, the zombie will teleport through the door.

That is my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

DicheBach

Rescued Ally
I get crashes when I launch fairly commonly, when I select "Continue." Probably one of the solutions above will fix it, but to be honest, just enduring / trying to fake out whatever is causing them seems sufficient.

1. It seems to only crash at certain points in the theme music. So waiting till it cycles past that seems to help
2. If I use keyboard to navigate the UL (W, S to navigate the selection items and Space to select) that seems to help

Crashes during play are fairly rare and mostly seem to be precipitated by overwhelming the app with rapid user inputs / very rapid mouse movements / large numbers of polygons in motion on screen at one time.

Something that happens during runtime that is common: the game will switch to windowed mode. This can happen in association with an erratic user input of one sort or another (e.g., clicking off screen, odd key combos, etc.) or it can just happen spontaneously for no apparent reason. I finally figured out that I can fix it by simply opening Graphics, switching to windowed mode, resuming play, reopening Graphics and switching to full-screen.

. . . SNIP . . .And remember, the game engine used is the Unity engine.
Really? I thought this was Cry Engine?
http://tw.greywool.com/i/4dHrq.jpg

SoD.jpg

Last edited:

Kapanth

Missing Survivor
Hi, I recently purchased State of Decay YOSE and when I launch the game, the movie intro play in a small side bar and then the game opens in window mode, I put in fullscreen and the game gives me a black screen ir hang in the menu and then I alt tab and see a dump error, sometimes windows warns me a gpu stopped the program or something like that since my windows is not in English. I have windows 10 with fx-8350 and a MSI GTX 970, no other game gives me problems that I know of. I tried many fixes from the web like the -fullscreen on command launch and creating a user.cfg. I think I can play normal in window mode, I just don't like to play that way. Thanks in advance for your help, my steam id is https://steamcommunity.com/id/kapanth/